Splunk Search

Sync Max Y Value Between Different Charts

k_ivesic
Explorer

Hi everyone. I have three charts in a panel in a Simple XML dashboard and I'm trying to programmatically (i.e., with tokens) sync the maximum value of the Y axis. The idea is that the value, determined by the maximum value of all three charts, is used in all three charts. Any clues? I tried setting a token in each of the three searches and then another token as max of these tokens. The resulting token was used to set the maxY value, but it doesn't work.

This is the token initialization:

<init>
    <set token="max_y_version">0</set>
    <set token="max_y_version1">0</set>
    <set token="max_y_version2">0</set>
    <set token="max_y_version3">0</set>
  </init>

And this is an example chart (I have three of these):

<chart>
        <search>
          <done>
            <eval token="max_y_version1">$result.max_count$</eval>
            <eval token="max_y_version">max($max_y_version1$, $max_y_version2$, $max_y_version3$)</eval>
          </done>
          <query>(some query which creates results containing max_count in the first row...)</query>
        </search>
        <option name="charting.axisY.maximumNumber">$max_y_version$</option>
        <option name="charting.axisTitleX.text">Date</option>
        <option name="charting.axisTitleX.visibility">collapsed</option>
        <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.stackMode">stacked</option>
        <option name="charting.drilldown">none</option>
        <option name="charting.legend.placement">top</option>
        <option name="refresh.display">progressbar</option>
      </chart>

Any clues? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What you are doing appears to be correct (and works in my environment). Check that there are no typos and that the value set for the maximum is numeric for all instances where it is retrieved.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What you are doing appears to be correct (and works in my environment). Check that there are no typos and that the value set for the maximum is numeric for all instances where it is retrieved.

0 Karma

k_ivesic
Explorer

Hi @ITWhisperer 

Thank you for your answer. Yes, although my max_count was clearly a number, the conversion was still needed. I modified the code a bit and now it seems to work fine:

<eval token="max_y_version1">tonumber($result.max_count$)</eval>
<eval token="max_y_version">max(tonumber($result.max_count$), $max_y_version2$, $max_y_version3$)</eval>
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...