Splunk Search

How to create an alert for events that are not logged?

Shashank_87
Explorer

Hi,

I have a weird requirement where I am looking to create an alert using some specific conditions. My OS index gets logged every 2 mins and I need to set up an alert to monitor a certain process "java" for a user "admin".

Now I have 4 hosts and suppose that 2 hosts (p3 and p4) are down, then trigger an alert using some specific message.

index=os sourcetype=ps host="p1" OR host="p2" OR host="p3" OR host="p4" user=admin process_name=java 
| stats count by host

Now under a normal scenario, the above search gives me 4 rows with a count of 1 for each host. In case my p3 and p4 goes down, I get only 2 rows because there is no process for p3 and p4.

Is there a simple way to achieve this?
I want to trigger an alert with a table that contains the following columns: host, message, priority.

The message would be common, something like, "These hosts are down. Please take action." and priority will also be always p2. But under the host column I need to specify those host which are down.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See https://www.duanewaddle.com/proving-a-negative/

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

See https://www.duanewaddle.com/proving-a-negative/

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

Shashank_87
Explorer

Perfect. Cheers mate. That worked

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...