Splunk Search

How do i find common values between two different fields from two different sourcetypes???

nikitha15
Explorer

Hi all, so the question looks pretty simple but i am not able to figure out the accurate answer. So i need to find the count of common values between two different fields from two different sourcetypes .

I have an index=main and two sourcetypes sourcetype1 and sourcetype2. These two sourcetypes each have a hostname field and i need to find the common values between the two hostname fields.

The query i used is this:

Index=main sourcetype=sourcetype1 | dedup hostname | table hostname | append [ search index=main sourcetype= sourcetype2 | dedup hostname | table hostname ] |table hostname | stats count by hostname | where count >1

The problem is the values in hostname field in sourcetype1 are almost 75k and values in hostname field in sourcetype2 are almost 90k. And i am getting a result of 22k by using that query. But the actual count of common values is almost 40k . So I don't understand where i am gng wrong. Can anyone plz tell me if my query is right or if there is any other approach to this i can use?? Thanks a lot.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@nikitha15

Can you please try this?

index=main (sourcetype="sourcetype1" OR sourcetype="sourcetype2")| stats values(sourcetype) as sourcetype by hostname | where (sourcetype="sourcetype1" AND sourcetype=" sourcetype2")
0 Karma

nikitha15
Explorer

I am still getting 34k as result .i need 40k. But thanks a lot , i learned a new approach.

0 Karma

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@nikitha15

Can you please check how many events you getting with the search??

index=main (sourcetype="sourcetype1" OR sourcetype="sourcetype2") 

I doubt the limit of search results.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.4/Admin/Limitsconf#.5Bsearchresults.5D

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...