Getting Data In

identifying sourcetypes by index

cphair
Builder

Hello,

I'd like to display all sourcetypes available for each index in my environment. Unfortunately, metadata type=sourcetypes doesn't preserve the index name, and I want to be able to run it on the entire set of indexes on whatever instance the search runs on (i.e. I don't want to hardcode index=a OR index=b, etc, into the search). I tried getting fancy:

| rest /services/data/indexes | rex field=id mode=sed "s/.\/(\w+)$/\1/" | search id!="_" | fields id | map search="|metadata type=sourcetypes index=$id$ | stats list(sourcetype) as sourcetype | eval whereFrom=$id$ | table sourcetype whereFrom"

...but the second $id$ is always null. Can anyone give me a good way to list all indexes and the sourcetypes they contain? As a bonus, if you can explain why my map command doesn't work as expected, I'd appreciate it.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

|metasearch index=* sourcetype=* | stats count by index, sourcetype | fields - count

View solution in original post

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi there,

another one would be tstats which is lighting fast, because it does not look at any _raw data :

| tstats count WHERE index=* by sourcetype, index

cheers, MuS

sojnv

Thanks MuS

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

I use that as well, but I like the way this looks better:

| tstats values(sourcetype) AS Sourcetype where index=* by index

And yes, as MuS said, this is lightening fast. Run that and then compare against |metasearch index=* sourcetype=* | stats count by index, sourcetype | fields - count which is way slow by comparison.

0 Karma

sojnv

so true, thanks

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

This REST search works great, and it is fast, too. I lists all sourcetypes by index and the associated event count:

|rest /services/data/indexes count=0
| dedup title
| fields title
| map  [|metadata type=sourcetypes index="$title$"
        | eval type="$title$"] maxsearches=1000
| stats values(totalCount) AS EventCount values(sourcetype) AS Sourcetype by type
| rename type as index
| fields index Sourcetype EventCount

sojnv

Thanks alot, This is more accurate and truly fast

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this

|metasearch index=* sourcetype=* | stats count by index, sourcetype | fields - count

cphair
Builder

Perfect. Thank you.

0 Karma

sdewar83
Path Finder

do you have to do this search against "All Time" ? i tried running it and got completely different results when searching ALL Time vs 15 minutes.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

you will get all sourcetypes faster if you do
| metadata type=sourcetypes index=*

0 Karma

theouhuios
Motivator
earliest=-5m@m latest=@m index=*|dedup sourcetype|table index sourcetype 
  • I always use this to list all sourcetypes and there respective indexes.

cphair
Builder

Understood, but my indexes are huge. I would prefer not to search the data itself if I can avoid it--this is the kind of problem that metadata should solve.

0 Karma

theouhuios
Motivator

You can increase the timerange to one hour and try it. It will just take extra time to give you the result. Will depend on your splunk environment on how much time it will take for search to complete

0 Karma

cphair
Builder

That only works if all the sourcetypes have appeared in the past five minutes, though.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...