Getting Data In

Props isn't working on overrided sourcetype

ekenne06
Path Finder

I followed this article https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.1/Data/Advancedsourcetypeoverrides

basically I took sourcetype ABC and am doing some regex and searching for 123, if I find that in the event I change the sourcetype to ABC:123. Now for this new sourcetype there is some wonky event breaking. Can I then create a new props entry [ABC:123] and perform all my line breaking and time extracting like I would for any normal event? As of right now it doesn't seem to be working.  I have:

2021-01-26 00:00:44.2885 [INFO] [NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM] SIXPACService.SplunkForwarder.SplunkWriter Attempting to Splunk Message from SITA:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<DCNSMessage>

and with the following props for testing:

[ABC:123]

LINE_BREAKER = SIXPACService.(.*)

and nothing happened when I tried that props. any ideas?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk doesn't work that way.  It will make a single pass through the props.conf settings for the current sourcetype.  If the sourcetype changes, the props for the new sourcetype will not be processed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk doesn't work that way.  It will make a single pass through the props.conf settings for the current sourcetype.  If the sourcetype changes, the props for the new sourcetype will not be processed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

ekenne06
Path Finder

You are correct! I applied my linebreaking to the original sourcetype and it worked like a charm! I appreciate the information.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...