Alerting

Simple alert still does not fire

pkurt
Path Finder

Hello everyone,

I had trouble last year making a simple alert work in Splunk (topic: "Simple alert not working?"). I could not make it work so I used Python SDK and alerted using python. Now I want to try to make Splunk alert again. I have tried many simple tests, and I have never successfully made an alert fire. I must be doing something simple wrong.

I have streaming data that comes constantly. Can anyone suggest a trivial alert test I can try that can work?
For example, I try a search for all data on my index and get hundreds of results in most recent few minutes. Then I click "save as" and select "alert". I select to have alert type scheduled from Cron Schedule, and tell it to run every minute (* * * * *). I choose "trigger alert when" I select "number of results" and select "is greater than" with value "0". For trigger action I ask it to send me an e-mail.

I save the alert and it appears in my alerts list. But no longer how long I wait I never get an e-mail and the alert always says "There are no fired events for this alert". I have tried other Cron selections. I have also tried using "Real-time" instead of Cron Schedule, but it still does not fire.

Does anyone know how to make it fire?

Thank you very much for any help,
Pelin

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

|noop|stats count|eval count = count + 1

Then trigger your alert to fire for Number of events greater than 0 and set it for every 5 minutes. Don't assume the email will to through but check for triggered alerts from the Alerts screen.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

|noop|stats count|eval count = count + 1

Then trigger your alert to fire for Number of events greater than 0 and set it for every 5 minutes. Don't assume the email will to through but check for triggered alerts from the Alerts screen.

pkurt
Path Finder

Thank you very much! I made this work on a different server. My first server has problems right now. Will try there too when it is working again.

But the e-mail does not work now. It is listed in the triggered alerts like you said. But no e-mail was sent. Do you know why the e-mail might not be working?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you have admin privileges on your Search Head, go to Settings -> Server settings -> Email settings. Here is blog that shows how to use gmail:

http://blogs.splunk.com/2014/06/27/splunk-alerts-using-gmail-twitter-phone-calls-and-much-more/

0 Karma

pkurt
Path Finder

Thank you very much, it worked!!!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

don't forget to click "Accept".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...