Alerting

Simple alert still does not fire

pkurt
Path Finder

Hello everyone,

I had trouble last year making a simple alert work in Splunk (topic: "Simple alert not working?"). I could not make it work so I used Python SDK and alerted using python. Now I want to try to make Splunk alert again. I have tried many simple tests, and I have never successfully made an alert fire. I must be doing something simple wrong.

I have streaming data that comes constantly. Can anyone suggest a trivial alert test I can try that can work?
For example, I try a search for all data on my index and get hundreds of results in most recent few minutes. Then I click "save as" and select "alert". I select to have alert type scheduled from Cron Schedule, and tell it to run every minute (* * * * *). I choose "trigger alert when" I select "number of results" and select "is greater than" with value "0". For trigger action I ask it to send me an e-mail.

I save the alert and it appears in my alerts list. But no longer how long I wait I never get an e-mail and the alert always says "There are no fired events for this alert". I have tried other Cron selections. I have also tried using "Real-time" instead of Cron Schedule, but it still does not fire.

Does anyone know how to make it fire?

Thank you very much for any help,
Pelin

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

|noop|stats count|eval count = count + 1

Then trigger your alert to fire for Number of events greater than 0 and set it for every 5 minutes. Don't assume the email will to through but check for triggered alerts from the Alerts screen.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

|noop|stats count|eval count = count + 1

Then trigger your alert to fire for Number of events greater than 0 and set it for every 5 minutes. Don't assume the email will to through but check for triggered alerts from the Alerts screen.

pkurt
Path Finder

Thank you very much! I made this work on a different server. My first server has problems right now. Will try there too when it is working again.

But the e-mail does not work now. It is listed in the triggered alerts like you said. But no e-mail was sent. Do you know why the e-mail might not be working?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you have admin privileges on your Search Head, go to Settings -> Server settings -> Email settings. Here is blog that shows how to use gmail:

http://blogs.splunk.com/2014/06/27/splunk-alerts-using-gmail-twitter-phone-calls-and-much-more/

0 Karma

pkurt
Path Finder

Thank you very much, it worked!!!

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

don't forget to click "Accept".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...