Splunk Search

Looping in Splunk...

sjringo
Communicator

Trying to figure out how to loop in Splunk.  I have the below query and my end result is to map/chart into a timechart by the percentage over _time.

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSource StringA earliest=-480m latest=-240m | stats count as A

| appendcols [search index=anIndex sourcetype=aSouce StringB earliest=-480m latest=-240m | stats count as B ]

| eval _time = relative_time(now(), "-240m@m")

| eval percentage = round(( A / B) * 100)

| fields + _time, percentage

Variables that need to change with each loop.

Lets assume I want to show percentage starting from 4 hour in the past to the current time by 30 minute increments.

1) Index: the earliest and latest need to increment by +30 minutes starting at (latest=-480, earliest = -240) till I get to 0

2) _time will need to be relative to when I start (beginning @ time now(), -240) and be adjusted on each loop by + 30 mins till I get to 0

I have looked at many examples but do not understand how to apply it to my requirements...

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try removing that line

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

SPL is not a procedural language so we have to think a little differently to get the job done.  Fortunately, it can do looping for us.

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSource (StringA OR StringB) earliest=-480m latest=-240m 
| bucket span=30m _time
| stats sum(eval(like(_raw, "%StringA%"))) as A, sum(eval(like(_raw, "%StringB%"))) as B by _time
| fields _time, percentage
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

Pseudo code, mixture of Java and SPL:

int aSpan = 240;   <- 4 hours

for (int anInt = -510; anInt > 0; anInt -30) {

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType StringA earliest=-(anInt)m latest=-(anInt+aSpan)m | stats count as A

| appendcols [search index=anIndex sourcetype=aSourceType StringB -(anInt)m latest=-(anInt+aSpan)m | stats count as B ]

| eval _time = relative_time(now(), "-(anInt)m@m")

| eval percentage = round((A / B) * 100)

| + fields _time, percentage   

}

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's again the https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Timechart-of-a-percentage-using-data-from-X-hours-ago/... topic? 🙂

I still think you're not telling us what you want to achieve but what you're trying to force splunk to do.

I understand that you want to calculate some stats based on how many times StringA appears in events with sourcetype=A and how many times StringB appears in events with sourcetype=B.

But what is the desired result. Tell us what is this supposed to represent.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does this work for you?

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSource StringA earliest=-480m latest=-240m
| bin _time span=30m
| stats count as A

| appendcols [search index=anIndex sourcetype=aSouce StringB earliest=-480m latest=-240m 
| bin _time span=30m
| stats count as B ]

0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

I added ( | bin _time span=30m) and the results were one percentage calculation.  What I am looking for is the percentage calculation over time .  I am looking for results like this, lets assume we run the query at 4 AM.  Starting @ midnight then moving forward till we get till 4 AM.

_time                                                Percentage                               earliest                           latest

2021-10-07 00:00:00                P1                                                 -480                                -240

2021-10-07 00:30:00                P2                                                 -450                                -210

2021-10-07 01:00:00                P3                                                 -420                                -180

2021-10-07 04:00:00                PX                                                 -240                                -0

Then I would use the timechart on ( _time, Percentage) which would show me how the percentage moves up/down every 30 mins from midnight till 4 AM.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sorry I missed the by _time out

index=anIndex sourcetype=aSource StringA earliest=-480m latest=-240m
| bin _time span=30m
| stats count as A by _time

| appendcols [search index=anIndex sourcetype=aSouce StringB earliest=-480m latest=-240m 
| bin _time span=30m
| stats count as B by _time]

0 Karma

sjringo
Communicator

Much, Much better...  One thing is that _time is the same for each percentage result, which makes sense since the _time eval is:

How would I make it move in 30 minute intervals which is the bin span ? 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try removing that line

sjringo
Communicator

That did the trick.  Once again thanks for your help!

My procedural brain was just not seeing the problem correctly...

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, SPL is not procedural, although there are ways to do loops of a sort, but they wouldn't have helped in your case.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...