Splunk Search

How to use regex command to match a certain amount of characters in a field?

showard22

I want to use Splunk to match on a field name for accounts with exactly 4 characters, all numbers and letters.

I keep trying:

index=corp sourcetype=importantlogs | fields Account EventType | regex Account="[a-zA-Z0-9]{4}"

I feel like I'm overlooking something super simple and I've been stuck on this for a few hours. Any outsider thoughts?

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

woodcock has a good answer, once you change the period to a more limited character class (\w is the simplest) For the same effect of keeping only accounts that are exactly 4 "word" characters, you could also use...

| where like(Account, "^\w{4}$"
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You did not anchor it; try this:

index=corp sourcetype=importantlogs | fields Account EventType | regex Account="^.{4}$"
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Need a smaller character class, only letters and numbers.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

A simpler match character is more efficient and worth the infinitesimally small risk of a false positive.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...