Splunk Dev

Rest Api not allowing special character

luist
Engager

Hi,

I am using the Splunk API 8.1.1 and using a script to UPDATE an existing dashboard. When i try to send these characters ; & > < i got an error 400 bad request saying "...is not supported by this handler".

curl --location --request POST 'https://localhost:8089/servicesNS/nobody/myapp/data/ui/views/mydashboard' \
--header 'Authorization: Basic YWRtaW46cGFzc3dvcmQ=' \
--header 'Content-Type: text/html' \
--data-raw 'eai:data=<dashboard><label>My Report</label><description>My characters are: ; & > < and more...</description></dashboard>'

How can I send these characters so I can display them on my dashboard?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

luist
Engager

I found the way to send this characters by encoding to XML-ENCODE and then do a URL-ENCODED:

So the first step is to encode this characters to xml-encode:

After:   ; & > < 
Before:    ; &amp; &gt; &lt;

And then encode to url-encode:

After:   ; &amp; &gt; &lt;
Before:    %3B %26amp%3B% 26gt%3B% 26lt%3B

In the end I have to send this message:

'eai:data=<dashboard><label>My Report</label><description>My characters are: %3B %26amp%3B% 26gt%3B% 26lt%3B and more...</description></dashboard>'

View solution in original post

luist
Engager

I found the way to send this characters by encoding to XML-ENCODE and then do a URL-ENCODED:

So the first step is to encode this characters to xml-encode:

After:   ; & > < 
Before:    ; &amp; &gt; &lt;

And then encode to url-encode:

After:   ; &amp; &gt; &lt;
Before:    %3B %26amp%3B% 26gt%3B% 26lt%3B

In the end I have to send this message:

'eai:data=<dashboard><label>My Report</label><description>My characters are: %3B %26amp%3B% 26gt%3B% 26lt%3B and more...</description></dashboard>'

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Send the characters HTML-encoded (&gt;, etc.).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...