Splunk Search

ordering of fields in a transaction (mvfind bug?)

brettcave
Builder

I am trying to determine the sequence of pageviews that a visitor visits. I have the following query:

eventtype="AnalyticsLog" | transaction SessionID | makemv uri | eval homeoffset=mvfind(uri, "/") | eval signupoffset=mvfind(uri, "/signup") | eval infooffset=mvfind(uri, "/info") | table SessionID uri homeoffset signupoffset infooffset

When I run the query, the transactions are always sorted alphabetically, so regardless of whether a visitor goes to / -> /signup -> /info or / -> /info -> /signup, the offsets always indicate / = 0, /info = 1 and /signup = 2

How would I go about determining the order of pages viewed by a visitor?

0 Karma
1 Solution

brettcave
Builder

Stumbled across the answer!

transaction docs:

Multivalue rendering options

mvlist=<bool> | <field-list>

Description: Flag controlling whether the multivalued fields of the transaction are (mvlist=t) a list of the original events ordered in arrival order or (mvlist=f) a set of unique field values ordered lexigraphically. If a comma/space delimited list of fields is provided only those fields are rendered as lists. By default, mvlist=f.

View solution in original post

inode
Explorer

Yeah, the magic mvlist does the job, I've provided an example usage here as well:

http://foren6.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/why-is-my-splunk-transaction-not-working/

0 Karma

brettcave
Builder

Stumbled across the answer!

transaction docs:

Multivalue rendering options

mvlist=<bool> | <field-list>

Description: Flag controlling whether the multivalued fields of the transaction are (mvlist=t) a list of the original events ordered in arrival order or (mvlist=f) a set of unique field values ordered lexigraphically. If a comma/space delimited list of fields is provided only those fields are rendered as lists. By default, mvlist=f.

brettcave
Builder

confirmed bug? expected behaviour? incorrect usage?

0 Karma

brettcave
Builder

Here is a sample, retrieved by adding the following to the query:

| search SessionID="6c337bd7-1ee8-4beb-9d5d-5ef30a7721d4".

The transaction shows that /login should be 0, /dashboard = 1 and /profile = 2. This is the event returned by the transaction:

2012-08-03T14:04:32.999Z | INFO | {"sessionId":"6c337bd7-1ee8-4beb-9d5d-5ef30a7721d4","uri":"/login"}
2012-08-03T14:04:36.996Z | INFO | {"sessionId":"6c337bd7-1ee8-4beb-9d5d-5ef30a7721d4","uri":"/dashboard"}
2012-08-03T14:04:37.240Z | INFO | {"sessionId":"6c337bd7-1ee8-4beb-9d5d-5ef30a7721d4","uri":"/profile"}

actual results:

• mvfind(uri, "/login"): 1
  • mvfind(uri, "/dashboard"): 0
  • mvfind(uri, "/profile"): 2

This is happening in splunkstorm and a local installation of 4.3.1

Is this a bug in the mvfind command?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...