Splunk Search

ordering of fields in a transaction (mvfind bug?)

brettcave
Builder

I am trying to determine the sequence of pageviews that a visitor visits. I have the following query:

eventtype="AnalyticsLog" | transaction SessionID | makemv uri | eval homeoffset=mvfind(uri, "/") | eval signupoffset=mvfind(uri, "/signup") | eval infooffset=mvfind(uri, "/info") | table SessionID uri homeoffset signupoffset infooffset

When I run the query, the transactions are always sorted alphabetically, so regardless of whether a visitor goes to / -> /signup -> /info or / -> /info -> /signup, the offsets always indicate / = 0, /info = 1 and /signup = 2

How would I go about determining the order of pages viewed by a visitor?

0 Karma
1 Solution

brettcave
Builder

Stumbled across the answer!

transaction docs:

Multivalue rendering options

mvlist=<bool> | <field-list>

Description: Flag controlling whether the multivalued fields of the transaction are (mvlist=t) a list of the original events ordered in arrival order or (mvlist=f) a set of unique field values ordered lexigraphically. If a comma/space delimited list of fields is provided only those fields are rendered as lists. By default, mvlist=f.

View solution in original post

inode
Explorer

Yeah, the magic mvlist does the job, I've provided an example usage here as well:

http://foren6.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/why-is-my-splunk-transaction-not-working/

0 Karma

brettcave
Builder

Stumbled across the answer!

transaction docs:

Multivalue rendering options

mvlist=<bool> | <field-list>

Description: Flag controlling whether the multivalued fields of the transaction are (mvlist=t) a list of the original events ordered in arrival order or (mvlist=f) a set of unique field values ordered lexigraphically. If a comma/space delimited list of fields is provided only those fields are rendered as lists. By default, mvlist=f.

brettcave
Builder

confirmed bug? expected behaviour? incorrect usage?

0 Karma

brettcave
Builder

Here is a sample, retrieved by adding the following to the query:

| search SessionID="6c337bd7-1ee8-4beb-9d5d-5ef30a7721d4".

The transaction shows that /login should be 0, /dashboard = 1 and /profile = 2. This is the event returned by the transaction:

2012-08-03T14:04:32.999Z | INFO | {"sessionId":"6c337bd7-1ee8-4beb-9d5d-5ef30a7721d4","uri":"/login"}
2012-08-03T14:04:36.996Z | INFO | {"sessionId":"6c337bd7-1ee8-4beb-9d5d-5ef30a7721d4","uri":"/dashboard"}
2012-08-03T14:04:37.240Z | INFO | {"sessionId":"6c337bd7-1ee8-4beb-9d5d-5ef30a7721d4","uri":"/profile"}

actual results:

• mvfind(uri, "/login"): 1
  • mvfind(uri, "/dashboard"): 0
  • mvfind(uri, "/profile"): 2

This is happening in splunkstorm and a local installation of 4.3.1

Is this a bug in the mvfind command?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...