Splunk Search

field attaches too much data

seanlon11
Path Finder

The log entry is:

2011-04-20 01:04:12,026 [DEBUG] com.company.ldap.SpringLdapDao.java(?) - **username=ahall** returned no groups, which probably means the user needs to be assigned groups by security
2011-04-19 18:06:49,424 [DEBUG] com.company.ldap.SpringLdapDao.java(?) - **username=frozndrk** returned no groups, which probably means the user needs to be assigned groups by security

I would expect to see a list of usernames with the simple values (e.g. ahall, frozndrk), but in reality, what I see for the username field is:

• ahall returned no groups
  • frozndrk returned no groups

In some odd way, it is also grabbing data to the comma. I only want the username, and not the junk after it.

Why is this happening?

Thanks,
Sean

Tags (1)
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is this a field extraction you've defined, or is Splunk auto-extracting it? It sounds like maybe you need to define a slightly different regex for this. Try this as a test, and see how it does with values for test_username.

returned no groups | rex "username=(?<test_username>.*) returned no groups"

You can add this to props.conf for your sourcetype using something like:

[mysourcetype]
EXTRACT-username = username=(?<username>.*) returned no groups

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is this a field extraction you've defined, or is Splunk auto-extracting it? It sounds like maybe you need to define a slightly different regex for this. Try this as a test, and see how it does with values for test_username.

returned no groups | rex "username=(?<test_username>.*) returned no groups"

You can add this to props.conf for your sourcetype using something like:

[mysourcetype]
EXTRACT-username = username=(?<username>.*) returned no groups

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's hard to say for 100% sure without digging through your configuration. You could always add the above extraction to props.conf for your sourcetype. See update to answer...

0 Karma

seanlon11
Path Finder

I have looked through my existing Field Extractions, and I do not see anything related to this particular username. So I think it appears to be Splunk making this extraction.

Using your inline extraction above retrieves the usernames as expected for the test_username field.

Any idea why Splunk would extract usernames wrong? What configuration can I check to ensure it is not something I have done?

Thanks,
Sean

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...