Splunk Search

Why does my search empty during run?

michaelnorup
Communicator

Hi all.

I have a search that searches a large amount of events.
Its run on fast mode, on the statistics page.

When i start the search it slow starts populating the fields, but then at one point it just empties all the results and says "No results found", even thought they were there at the beginning of the search running...

Any ideas what could be the issue here? Never had anything like this before on other large searches though
Some setting in limits.conf or something?
All i get is this, which makes no sense since data is there at the start of the search

michaelnorup_0-1677743841444.png

In the beginning it shows data:

michaelnorup_0-1677744534137.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since you have blanked out most of your search, it is difficult to say, if I were to guess, I would say that the sort truncated your results such that there were no longer any results which matched your search criteria. Try using 

| sort 0

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since you have blanked out most of your search, it is difficult to say, if I were to guess, I would say that the sort truncated your results such that there were no longer any results which matched your search criteria. Try using 

| sort 0

michaelnorup
Communicator

So this was the solution. Can you explain to me why the sorting would just hide ALL the results, instead of showing the last 10.000 like it says it does?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is not the sorting which hides the results per se. The sorting (without the zero) has been truncated (according to your screenshot) so not all the events are present. The part of the search that you did leave visible shows a search based on the values of certain fields. My guess is that within the truncated set of events, there were no matches for this search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...