Splunk Search

Why are empty emails being sent using map & sendemail commands in my search and how do I prevent this?

splunkrocks2014
Communicator

Hi.

I tried to send an email for each event when triggered. I used map and sendemail commands, but there is an empty email always sent out, regardless if there is any event found. How can I stop sending an empty email? Thanks.

index=xyz user=U12345 OR user=X12345
| table _time hostname user
| eval report_time=strftime(_time, "%d %b %Y %H:%M:%S")
| eval subject=$report_time$ + ", user, " + $user$ + " logged on to server " + $hostname$
|stats count by subject
| map [ search | eval subject=$subject$ | stats count by subject | fields - count | sendemail server=mail.server.net from=xyz to=abc subject=$result.subject$ sendresults=true] 
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This is from another Q&A:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/399434/send-emailed-results-to-an-email-address-in-the-re.html#an...

If you need to send a contextually-appropriate subset of results to some people, you can skip the configuration-based email settings and do this in SPL:

... | outputcsv TempFile.csv
| stats values(Email_Address) AS emailToHeader | mvexpand emailToHeader
| map search="|inputcsv TempFile.csv | where Email_Addresss=\"$emailToHeader$\"
   | fields - Email_Address
   | sendemail
      sendresults=true inline=true
      server=\"Your.Value.Here\"
      from=\"Your.Value.Here\"
      to=\"$emailToHeader$\"
      subject=\"Your Subject here: \$name\$\"
      message=\"This report alert was generated by \$app\$ Splunk with this search string: \$search\$\""
| where comment="MakeSureNoEventsRemain"
| append [|inputcsv TempFile.csv]

The only downside to this approach is that If the search does not return any results it will produce the following error:

"Error in "map": Did not find value for required attributes 'emailToHeader'

This is "normal" and I have not found a good way to code around it.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This is from another Q&A:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/399434/send-emailed-results-to-an-email-address-in-the-re.html#an...

If you need to send a contextually-appropriate subset of results to some people, you can skip the configuration-based email settings and do this in SPL:

| stats values(Email_Address) AS emailToHeader | mvexpand emailToHeader
| map search="|inputcsv TempFile.csv | where Email_Addresss=\"$emailToHeader$\"
   | fields - Email_Address
   | sendemail
      sendresults=true inline=true
      server=\"Your.Value.Here\"
      from=\"Your.Value.Here\"
      to=\"$emailToHeader$\"
      subject=\"Your Subject here: \$name\$\"
      message=\"This report alert was generated by \$app\$ Splunk with this search string: \$search\$\""
| append [|inputcsv TempFile.csv]

The only downside to this approach is that If the search does not return any results it will produce the following error:

"Error in "map": Did not find value for required attributes 'emailToHeader'

This is "normal" and I have not found a good way to code around it.

0 Karma

wangjianiu
Explorer

does this finally work? i have a similar query to trigger the sendemail inside the map command, but I got "2021-04-30 04:05:59,276 +0000 ERROR sendemail:1428 - [HTTP 403] Client is not authorized to perform requested action" error in index=_internal source=*python.log*, but the sendemail works if I run separately, some post said the script inside map missed the context, do you know how we could fix this? 

0 Karma

adamsmith47
Communicator

Just wanted to comment here about the method of

| append [|inputcsv Tempfile.csv]

I've been attempting to get something like this working, with no success, and I've just realized why. The [|inputcsv Tempfile.csv] subsearch executes first (as subsearches do), so when the search reaches the line of | append [|inputcsv Tempfile.csv], it appends whatever events existed in the Tempfile.csv at the BEGINING of the search, not what was populated into the file with | outputcsv Tempfile.csv.

Took me a while to figure this out.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try
Updated

index=xyz user=U12345 OR user=X12345
 | table _time hostname user
 | eval report_time=strftime(_time, "%d %b %Y %H:%M:%S")
 | eval subject=$report_time$ + ", user, " + $user$ + " logged on to server " + $hostname$
 |stats count by subject
 | map [ | gentimes start=-1 | eval subject="$subject$" |table subject| sendemail server=mail.server.net from=xyz to=abc subject=$result.subject$ sendresults=true format=table inline=true] 
0 Karma

splunkrocks2014
Communicator

Hi somesoni2, thank you for your respond. I am still getting an email with the following contents:

"Search results.
No results found.
"

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try the updated answer.

0 Karma

splunkrocks2014
Communicator

still getting empty email with the following contents:

Search results.
subject
$subject$

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...