Splunk Search

Weird / Faulty (?) Behaviour when comparing numbers

sh4kesbeer
Explorer

Hello,
I am currently facing a weird behaviour when comparing two numeric fields in splunk.
alt text

The attached screenshot shows the situation, where I want to compare the time difference to some previous and some subsequent event. The fields for the (correctly calculated) difference are prevDif and postDif. I compare them to gather a decision of which event should be taken (selectedPosition). I multiplied the prevDif and postDif by 2 after I encountered the error, to verify the fields are treated as numbers (and they are, postDif was 42 without the multiplication in most of the cases). So as 0 is clearly < 84 the selectedPosition should be "prev" but somehow the comparison fails and "post" is selected.
Can someone explain this behaviour or is this just a bug?
I would greatly appreciate any hints to why this does not work correctly!

0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Typo. Change prevDiv to prevDif in line 58.

note - you can use *1.0 rather than *2 and the result would be numeric and unchanged.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Typo. Change prevDiv to prevDif in line 58.

note - you can use *1.0 rather than *2 and the result would be numeric and unchanged.

0 Karma

sh4kesbeer
Explorer

Thanks a lot, I was probably staring for too long at this problem to notice the obvious 😄

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@sh4kesbeer - It's always easier to catch those in other people's code. If we sat across the aisle from each other, you'd do it for me just as well.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...