Splunk Search

Understand which HF send data to whic index

SplunkExplorer
Contributor

Hi Splunkers, currently we are managing an Enterprise Splunk environment previously managed by another company. As sadly often occurs, no documentation has been released and so we had to discover almost information about architecture by ourselves. We successfully managed many tasks related to this big problem, but few ones remain; in particular, the one for what I open this discussion.

The point is this: almost total ingested data are collected flowing to a couple of HF. This means that data flow is, typically:

Log sources -> On prem HF -> Cloud HF (on IaaS VM) -> Cloud Indexer (on IaaS VM).

With a search discovered here on community, based on internal logs, I found how to understand what Splunk component send data to another Splunk one. I mean: suppose I have

HF on prem 1 -> Hf on cloud 2

I know how to discover this analyzing the internal logs. But what about if I want to discover which HF on prem collect data sent to a specific index? Let me do an example. Suppose I have this host set:

Log sources (with NO UF installed on them)

Log source 1
Log source 2
Log source 3

On prem HF

HF on prem 1
HF on prem 2
HF on prem 3

On cloud HF (IaaS VM)

HF on Cloud 1

On cloud indexer

Indexer on cloud 1 (IaaS VM)

Indexes

index1
index2
index3

At starting point, I know only that all 3 On prem HF collect data and send them to HF on Cloud: then, data are sent to the Indexer. I don’t know which On prem HF collect data from which Log source, and in which index data are collected once they arrive on indexer; for sure, I could ask to system owner what configuration has been performed on log sources, but the idea is to discover this with a Splunk Search. Is this possible?

The idea is to have a search where I can specify the exact flow. For example, suppose that 1 of the above flow is:

Log source 1 -> On Prem HF 2 -> On Cloud HF -> On Cloud Indexer -> index3

I must be able to discover it.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HFs process data transparently so there's no way to track the flow of events.  Many customers work around that by having the HF add a field to every event where the value of the field is the HF's name.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HFs process data transparently so there's no way to track the flow of events.  Many customers work around that by having the HF add a field to every event where the value of the field is the HF's name.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Customer Experience | Splunk 2024: New Onboarding Resources

In 2023, we were routinely reminded that the digital world is ever-evolving and susceptible to new ...

Celebrate CX Day with Splunk: Take our interactive quiz, join our LinkedIn Live ...

Today and every day, Splunk celebrates the importance of customer experience throughout our product, ...

How to Get Started with Splunk Data Management Pipeline Builders (Edge Processor & ...

If you want to gain full control over your growing data volumes, check out Splunk’s Data Management pipeline ...