Splunk Search

Unable to get fields with rex?

frnSpLrnr11
Engager

Hello,

I have this search results:

Error for user flow: AAAAA - user: BBBB - Msg: {\"_errorCode\":Z, \"_message\": \"Example Error Message\"}

I'm trying to get the number of each each _errorCode for each user flow.

I started with 

index="example_index" source="example_source" sourcetype="example_st" Error for | rex field=_raw "user flow: (?<user_flow>\w+)" | stats count as ErrorCount by user_flow

I was able to get the number of error occurrences under each user flow. I wanted to expand this query to be more granular and include the error code so I would have:

UserFlow ErrorCode Error Count
AAAA X 5
AAAA Y 7
BBBB F 1
BBBB G 2

This is the query I came up with but the statistics tab are no longer showing anything

index="example_index" source="example_source" sourcetype="example_st" Error for | rex field=_raw "user flow: (?<user_flow>\w+)" | rex field=_raw "_errorCode:\\\":(?<error_code>\d+)" |stats count as ErrorCount by user_flow, error_code

I see the events tab are still populated with search results  but it looks like my addition to the query is not quite correct.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @frnSpLrnr11,

please try this, where the first row is only for the sample:

| makeresults | eval _raw="Error for user flow: AAAAA - user: BBBB - Msg: {\"_errorCode\":Z, \"_message\": \"Example Error Message\"}"
| rex field=_raw "user flow: (?<user_flow>\w+)"
| rex field=_raw "_errorCode\\\":(?<error_code>[^,]+)"
| stats values(error_code) AS error_code count BY user_flow

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @frnSpLrnr11,

please try this, where the first row is only for the sample:

| makeresults | eval _raw="Error for user flow: AAAAA - user: BBBB - Msg: {\"_errorCode\":Z, \"_message\": \"Example Error Message\"}"
| rex field=_raw "user flow: (?<user_flow>\w+)"
| rex field=_raw "_errorCode\\\":(?<error_code>[^,]+)"
| stats values(error_code) AS error_code count BY user_flow

Ciao.

Giuseppe

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @frnSpLrnr11,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...