Splunk Search

To find New error in server logs that was not present in logs in the past one week.

VS0909
Communicator

I am looking to trigger an alert in splunk if a new error is there in server logs. New error is an error/s that was not present in server logs in the past one week. I have index for logs index=Serverlogs1.

Please help!

Labels (5)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @VS0909,

you could run a search like this:

index=Serverlogs1 "error message" earliest=-7d@d latest=now
| eval status=if(_time<now()-86400,"Old","New")
| search status="New"
| table _time host

But, if you have many logs,  this search could be very slow; so you could schedule the main search and save results in a Summary Index, then run this search on the Summary index instead of the Serverlogs1 index.

If you have many error messages to search, you could insert them in a lookup and use it for the search.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

VS0909
Communicator

Thanks for the reply. I

tried the above query, but for an error , for example "error1" which occurred within last 7 days and also today, query should not show those results, as it is not a new error. However, the above query is showing those results.

Please help!

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @VS0909 

Your requirement is still unclear.

If an error happens twice "today", is that a new error?

By "today", do you mean with the same date as now or the last 24 hours or since say 6pm yesterday?

If an error first happens just before midnight and you next run your query just after midnight, are you expecting to pick this up even though it happened yesterday?

0 Karma

VS0909
Communicator

Thanks for the reply!

By Today I mean in the last 24 hours. An error is considered a "new" error if was not present in the past 7 days of logs. If an error happens twice "today", alert should be triggered for the first occurrence of the error. 

Thank!s

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming you have your errors extracted in an error field and you execute your query over the previous 7 days, then:

... base search
| stats last(_time) as _time by error | where _time > now()-(60*60*24)

VS0909
Communicator

Thanks for the reply.

I want to search stack trace in server logs to identify a new error. 

May you please help.

0 Karma

VS0909
Communicator

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it

Any idea of splunk query, by which we can find new error in logs  for above scenario, by checking stack trace?

Thanks!

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @VS0909,

the main problem is to identify errors: e.g. if you's monitoring an Oracle database, errora have the format ORA-XXXX so it's easy to identify them.

So you should know how identify errors, for format (as Oracle errors) or for position (e.g. after a word or at the third position).

when it's clear how to identify error messages, you can use my search to define if it's a new erro or not, but as I said, the problem isn't in Splunk search, the main problem is in the knowledge of the technology you're monitoring.

usually 70% of the job is to know what to search and 30% it to search in Splunk!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

VS0909
Communicator

@gcusello  Thanks for the reply.

I want to search stack trace in server logs to identify a new error. 

May you please help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...