Splunk Search

Timestamp/regex help

a212830
Champion

Hi,

I'm having a hard time getting a regex/timestamp to work properly.

Here are some sample events:

[5892][9008][03/26/2016][11:00:36.607][][][][CServer::ProcessRequest][CServer.cpp:5901][][Leave function CServer::ProcessRequest][][][][][][][][][712][][][][][]
[5892][9008][03/26/2016][11:00:36.607][][][][CSm_Az_Message::ProcessMessage][Sm_Az_Message.cpp:371][][Leave function CSm_Az_Message::ProcessMessage][][][][][][][][][712][][][][][]
[5892][9008][03/26/2016][11:00:36.607][][][][CSm_Az_Message::IsAuthorized][IsAuthorized.cpp:877][][Leave function CSm_Az_Message::IsAuthorized][][][][][][][][][true][][][][][]
[5892][9008][03/26/2016][11:00:36.607][][][][CSm_Az_Message::SendReply][Sm_Az_Message.cpp:575][][Leave function CSm_Az_Message::SendReply][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[5892][9008][03/26/2016][11:00:36.607][default_ei1059vwin][s13435/r6559][][CSm_Az_Message::ProcessMessage][Sm_Az_Message.cpp:571][][** Status: Authorized. ][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Here's my props:

SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)\[\d+\]\[\d+
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
disabled=false
TZ=America/New_York
TIME_PREFIX = ^\[\d+\]\[\d+\]\[
TIME_FORMAT=%m/%d/%Y][%H:%M:%S.%3N
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=75

I get an error: "could not use strptime to parse timestamp...make sure a prefix pattern is specified."

Tags (2)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The following worked fine for me

SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)\[\d+\]\[\d+
TIME_PREFIX=^\[\d+\]\[\d+\]\[
TIME_FORMAT=%m/%d/%Y][%H:%M:%S.%N
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=24
 TZ=America/New_York

The attribute MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD is basically length of the timestamp value. It how far splunk should look after the TIME_PREFIX not the how far it is from the start of the event.

0 Karma

landen99
Motivator

This looks just like mine with a few very small differences. I think that the big takeaway was escaping the brackets in the regex. If a good answer already exists, it makes sense to simply add a comment to the answer with any small changes or recommendation. No need for anyone to read through a dozen answers saying exactly the same thing.

0 Karma

n00badmin
Communicator

Your events are already single line events, so to remove debug of the line breaker, I explicitly set break each line and was able to extract the timestamp with:

Update: added landen99's line breaker suggestion below in case you absolutely have to have it and this props still working for me....

[ splunk_answers_timestamp ]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = ^\[\d+\]\[\d+
TIME_FORMAT = %m/%d/%Y][%H:%M:%S.%3N
TIME_PREFIX = ^\[\d+\]\[\d+\]\[
TZ = America/New_York
KV_MODE = none

I think perhaps you were't accounting for what chars would be left after your line breaker and time prefix....also not sure if you escaped everything you needed to...

0 Karma

landen99
Motivator

I expect that this should work:

TZ=America/New_York
TIME_FORMAT=%m/%d/%Y][%H:%M:%S.%3N

You only need those two lines. If it doesn't work, try escaping the brackets and let us know.

Added:
If you want to add the other lines, these ones are default and are not required/useful:

SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
NO_BINARY_CHECK=true
disabled=false

For the other lines, I would suggest (the brackets need to be escaped):

LINE_BREAKER=^\[\d+\]\[\d+
TIME_PREFIX =^(\[\d+\]){2}\[
KV_MODE = none
0 Karma

a212830
Champion

We purposely don't use auto linebreaking or auto timestamp, to improve performance. Every props must have a LINE_BREAK, TIME_STAMP, TIME_PREFIX, KV_MODE, ANNOTATE_PUNCT....

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When I wrote these events to file, the auto linebreak and auto timestamp extract worked perfectly fine...any reason you are using a custom line break??

- MattyMo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...