Splunk Search

Splunk DB Connect with Microsoft SQL Database: Why do I keep getting error "Connection refused"?

djarmoluk
Explorer

I realize this question has already been posted, but none of the answers have helped me. I have followed this document line by line: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DBX/1.1.7/DeployDBX/Addadatabaseconnection

No matter what I try, I keep getting:

java.sql.SQLException: Network error IOException: Connection refused: connect

I'd attach a screen shot of my settings, but I'm not able to add an attachment. So how does one with low karma get support in this community? Seems unproductive to not allow me to upload an image which may more quickly get my question answered.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The answer being... by default MS SQL disabled TCP/IP and 1433 on the Network Interface Card.

To enable you must open SQL Server Configuration Manager, select the protocol you want to use (TCP/IP) in this case, enable the protocol, then go to advanced and enable the protocol on the NIC/IP address(es) you desire.

Once you have done so, you will be able to connect to your SQL server.

0 Karma

djarmoluk
Explorer

Apologies... I have to correct myself. TCP/IP for local install of SQL defaults to off... so 1433 wouldn't have been inaccessible. Enabled it and restarted... now I'm getting the following:

Encountered the following error while trying to save: Splunkd daemon is not responding: ('Error connecting to /servicesNS/admin/dbx/dbx/databases: The read operation timed out',)

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

please ask a new question and mark the answer for your original error.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

REST endpoints are much slower on Windows, which I assume is what you're using... a few retries might get you through it, or if that's a VM where you can increase hardware resources that might work.

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @djarmoluk

Can you host the image on another site and share that link here on the post? That's what most folks do until they earn enough karma from participation in the forum to attach images.

0 Karma

patelrahul40

hey, I am also getting this error while connecting to remote mysql server ,but it working fine with local mysql server,

Please find the Error details

Splunkd daemon is not responding: ("Error connecting to /servicesNS/admin/dbx/dbx/databases: ('The read operation timed out',)",)

0 Karma

djarmoluk
Explorer

Thank you!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/jarmoluk-public/Screen+Shot+2015-03-30+at+5.58.30+PM.png

I've tried my machine name, localhost, 127.0.0.1, and the IP address shown as the host name. I've also tried all of the isolation levels available. The database name, username, and password have also been verified.

0 Karma

rsennett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

and you're sure that it's using the default port of 1433? Might want to confirm that, and that you have the port open on both ends...

The image restriction is to prohibit spammer activity. It doesn't take long to hit the threshold. 🙂

With Splunk... the answer is always "YES!". It just might require more regex than you're prepared for!
0 Karma

djarmoluk
Explorer

I've confirmed the port. I'm actually running splunk and the db server on my test machine - firewall is off.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...