Splunk Search

Splunk Bug "fields command"

wessam
Explorer

I am facing an issue with fields command as i am generating splunk queries below

.....)|fields - records2,records

and it working fine , however after automating this query on dashboard and running it several times , query is changed and became

.....)|fields-records2,records

Which gives an error because there is no spaces between characters !!
So did anyone face the same issue and could you please help me with a workarround or solution

Tags (2)

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

Support tell me this is fixed in 6.5.4

See SPL-140551 here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.4/ReleaseNotes/6.5.4

0 Karma

wessam
Explorer

Is there any workaround for this bug instead of using fields - ?

index=xx |eval records='y'|stats values(records) as records list(y) as records2 by date_month|dedup records |eval records_after_dedup=mvcount(records), records_all=mvcount(records2)|fields - records2 records

as i would like to display graph which represents number of records after dedup and all records before dedup.

0 Karma

rmarcum
Explorer

I have successfully used my two suggestions above (i.e., "table" or put the code in a macro that contains the "fields -" command). Additionally, a real hack I sometimes use is a "focused" macro--e.g., FieldsMinus4 defined as:

fields - $field1$, $field2$, $field3$, $field4$

Which I implement as:

| makeresults | eval aField1=123 | eval aField2=456 | eval aField3=789 | `FieldsMinus4(aField1,a,b,c)`

This takes advantage of the fields command working whether or not the field(s) exist that are passed as arguments. Thus I populate the 4 arguments using a, b, c, to make sure all 4 are there. This works for me for the many cases where there are less than 5 fields I need to remove.

Regards.

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

We also see this with the sort command. Splunk 6.5.2

You can verify this on the file system from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/

find ./users ./apps -type f -name '*.xml' -exec grep --color 'sort-|find-' {} +

I'm raising a support request for our users - I recommend you do the same

0 Karma

rmarcum
Explorer

I have been seeing this issue since we rolled out v6.5.x many weeks ago. I first encountered it when going in and out of the new Source edit feature, so I assume it has to do with recompilation of XML. I believe I see the same thing when I go into Source via "Views". I also see it in titles where I use a dash--e.g. "Title - More Title". Our admin has been unable to address the issue or provide a workaround. Basically, I have found no workaround other than not using "fields -", or using "table ...". This is the first time I have finally seen anyone mention such a HUGE issue on Splunk Answers...which has surprised me a bit. I use MSIE.

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Can you share the XML for the dashboard?

Also, what version of Splunk and what browser are you using?

0 Karma

wessam
Explorer

Splunk Version 6.5.1 and i am using IE11

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Can you share your XML for the dashboard?

0 Karma

rmarcum
Explorer

I have been seeing this issue since we rolled out v6.5.x many weeks ago. I first encountered it when going in and out of the new Source edit feature, so I assume it has to do with recompilation of XML. I believe I see the same thing when I go into Source via "Views". I also see it in titles where I use a dash--e.g. "Title - More Title". Our admin has been unable to address the issue or provide a workaround. Basically, I have found no workaround other than not using "fields -", or using "table ...". This is the first time I have finally seen anyone mention such a HUGE issue on Splunk Answers...which has surprised me a bit. I use MSIE.

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@rmarcum - please be sure to hit the "me-too" button if you want more eyes on the bug.

0 Karma

rmarcum
Explorer

BTW, another workaround I have for key code I do not want to change is to put it in a macro which seems to be immune to this issue. Again, I suspect "source".

0 Karma

wessam
Explorer

index=xx |eval records='y'|stats values(records) as records list(y) as records2 by date_month|dedup records |eval records_after_dedup=mvcount(records), records_all=mvcount(records2)|fields - records2 records

as i would like to display graph which represents number of records after dedup and all records before dedup.

0 Karma

wessam
Explorer
    <search>
      <query>..... |fields - records2,records</query>
      <earliest>0</earliest>
      <sampleRatio>1</sampleRatio>
    </search>
    <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisNone</option>
    <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation">0</option>
    <option name="charting.axisTitleX.visibility">visible</option>
    <option name="charting.axisTitleY.text">Number of Tickets</option>
    <option name="charting.axisTitleY.visibility">visible</option>
    <option name="charting.axisTitleY2.visibility">visible</option>
    <option name="charting.axisX.scale">linear</option>
    <option name="charting.axisY.scale">linear</option>
    <option name="charting.axisY2.enabled">0</option>
    <option name="charting.axisY2.scale">inherit</option>
    <option name="charting.chart">column</option>
    <option name="charting.chart.bubbleMaximumSize">50</option>
    <option name="charting.chart.bubbleMinimumSize">10</option>
    <option name="charting.chart.bubbleSizeBy">area</option>
    <option name="charting.chart.nullValueMode">gaps</option>
    <option name="charting.chart.showDataLabels">all</option>
    <option name="charting.chart.sliceCollapsingThreshold">0.01</option>
    <option name="charting.chart.stackMode">default</option>
    <option name="charting.chart.style">shiny</option>
    <option name="charting.drilldown">none</option>
0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Can you see what happens if you do the same thing in another browser (Chrome or FF)?

0 Karma

wessam
Explorer

the same issue happened

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

What do you mean when by "automating" this query? What exactly did you do that seems to have resulted in removing whitespace in the query?

0 Karma

wessam
Explorer

i mean that after the query in generated , i am just saving it into a dashboard and after opening this dashboard several times . whitespace in query is removed so that's weird as i have only saved the query

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...