Splunk Search

Single value visualisation and trend value

smacphillamy
Engager

I have db queries running every 5 minutes each logging a record of multiple fields and values. I have the following single value panel defined:

<single>
        <title>Entered</title>
        <search>
          <query>index=db_index| regex source="db_prod/.*entered.*" | timechart span=5m dc(id)</query>
          <earliest>$field1.earliest$</earliest>
          <latest>$field1.latest$</latest>
          <refresh>3m</refresh>
          <refreshType>delay</refreshType>
        </search>
        <option name="colorBy">trend</option>
        <option name="colorMode">none</option>
        <option name="drilldown">all</option>
        <option name="numberPrecision">0</option>
        <option name="rangeColors">["0x65a637","0x6db7c6","0xf7bc38","0xf58f39","0xd93f3c"]</option>
        <option name="rangeValues">[0,30,70,100]</option>
        <option name="refresh.time.visible">1</option>
        <option name="showSparkline">1</option>
        <option name="showTrendIndicator">1</option>
        <option name="trendColorInterpretation">standard</option>
        <option name="trendDisplayMode">absolute</option>
        <option name="trendInterval">-1h</option>
        <option name="underLabel">Compared to Previous Hour</option>
        <option name="useColors">1</option>
        <option name="useThousandSeparators">1</option>
      </single>

Looking at the values displayed in the panel, I'm having difficulty understanding how the single value and the displayed trend are being calculated. The questions I have are:

1. With the declared search and associated parameters which data point/points are picked to compute the single value?
  2. Which data points are used to compute the trend value?
0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

The search is returning the distinct count of ids - dc(id) - in each 5 minute period - span=5m.

The trend will be displayed as the number itself rather than percentage (absolute) , with up trends being colored as good (standard) and the prior point in the trend being the point 1 hour previously.

Here's a good example by kkrdo, complete with a test data generator you can play with. After you play around a bit, you can then port the knowledge back to your real data -

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/330293/compare-option-in-single-value-in-splunk-63.html

If you find his example helps you, then please upvote him.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...