Splunk Search

Relating 2 different fields within a transaction

ndoshi
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would like to relate 2 different sourcetypes with a common value for a field. The fields are named differently in each sourcetype. For my example I have:

sourcetype=A OR sourcetype=B|transaction field_A,field_B maxspan=1d connected=f|eval num=mvcount(sourcetype)|where num=2

This means relate all events of sourcetype A to sourcetype B using the extracted field_A and field_B from each respective sourcetype and only show grouped events that have both sourcetypes. So, if field_A=2 and field_B=2 for the allotted time period, there should be a grouping. However, if field_A=3 and field_B=2, there should be no match. If I don't use connected=f, I get no matches at all for 2 different sourcetypes, even when they exist. If I use connected=f, it groups events even if field_A and field_B have different values. The end goal is to group events where field_A==field_B for the same values. What am I doing incorrectly. Here's another more concrete example:

sourcetype="trade_pricing" OR sourcetype="stockquote_entry" |transaction stock_name,stock_symbol connected=f maxspan=1d |eval num=mvcount(sourcetype)|where num=2

The results I get back from a search for a transaction grouping are:

StockQuotes Stock Symbol GE 11/1/2010 4:02pm Change-0.07
Mon Nov  1 17:20:04 EDT 2010 Looking up price for BAC
Mon Nov  1 17:20:04 EDT 2010 Got price for BAC as 0
Mon Nov  1 17:21:08 EDT 2010 Looking up price for BAC
Mon Nov  1 17:21:08 EDT 2010 Got price for BAC as 0.5

* host=mac-mbp15.local 
    * sourcetype=stockquote_entry  
    * sourcetype=trade_pricing 
    * source=/Applications/splunk/etc/apps/Trade/logs/pricing.log
    * source=stockquote_xml
    * stock_name=BAC 
    * stock_symbol=GE 

Notice how stock_name and stock_symbol have different values, but the events are still grouped together. Any explanations?

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

chris
Motivator

If sourcetype A only contains field_A and sourcetype B only contains field_B, then this might work

`sourcetype=A OR sourcetype=B|eval mySingleField=coalesce(field_A,field_B)|transaction mySingleField maxspan=1d |eval num=mvcount(sourcetype)|where num=2`

You just create a new field for all the events that has the same name in both sourcetypes

I hope this helps

Chris

View solution in original post

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are trying to group on field_A AND field_B that have the same value between them (even between sourcetypes), then you could try creating a field alias called "field_Z" to normalize the field name, first, THEN pipe to transaction using field_Z.

BTW, to setup a field alias, you can go into Splunk >> Manager >> Fields >> Field alias >> New

and add both field_A and field_B to have an alias of field_Z, save.

View solution in original post

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are trying to group on field_A AND field_B that have the same value between them (even between sourcetypes), then you could try creating a field alias called "field_Z" to normalize the field name, first, THEN pipe to transaction using field_Z.

BTW, to setup a field alias, you can go into Splunk >> Manager >> Fields >> Field alias >> New

and add both field_A and field_B to have an alias of field_Z, save.

chris
Motivator

If sourcetype A only contains field_A and sourcetype B only contains field_B, then this might work

`sourcetype=A OR sourcetype=B|eval mySingleField=coalesce(field_A,field_B)|transaction mySingleField maxspan=1d |eval num=mvcount(sourcetype)|where num=2`

You just create a new field for all the events that has the same name in both sourcetypes

I hope this helps

Chris

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...