Splunk Search

Reassign (or keep) variable in eval's IF statement

Path Finder

I have two variables and based on one would like to possible change the value of the other:

.. | eval a="foo" | eval b="some value" | eval a=if(match(b, "kittens"), "bar", a)

So if b contains 'kittens' make a's value equal 'bar', otherwise keep it 'foo'. Is this possible? As it stands now a only ever has a value when b contains 'kittens'.

Thanks,
Kevin

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Builder

well it seems it should work, so I went to my code to see how I implemented it, I ended up using a case command with the last expression as 1==1.

eval a=case(match(b, "kittens"), "bar", 1==1,a)

It seems that I had the same issue also, and this was how I was able to get it to work.

View solution in original post

Builder

well it seems it should work, so I went to my code to see how I implemented it, I ended up using a case command with the last expression as 1==1.

eval a=case(match(b, "kittens"), "bar", 1==1,a)

It seems that I had the same issue also, and this was how I was able to get it to work.

View solution in original post

Path Finder

Cool deal, too bad it doesn't work with if as well, but this will do just fine. Thanks!

0 Karma
State of Splunk Careers

Access the Splunk Careers Report to see real data that shows how Splunk mastery increases your value and job satisfaction.

Find out what your skills are worth!