Need help to combine inputlookup and map search for two sources

kiragsplunk
Explorer

Team,

Need help to build a dashboard .

WH.csv content

XXX

YYY

I want to search in two different sources but wanna use the same variable from inputlookup variable.

existing Query

| inputlookup WH.csv
| table ware_house
| map search="search index=wh source=$ware_house$_WH_OVERVIEW| head 1
| stats list(Routes) AS ROUTE list(source) AS WH | appendcols [ search index=wh source=$ware_house$_WH_SHIPPING | head 5 | stats list(LabelsCreated) AS LabelsCreated by LabelType | stats sum(LabelsCreated) AS SUMMARY ] "

Issue : second search is not getting the variable $ware_house$ so it does not return any result.

As soon as the base search work would like to add it in the Dashboard.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I'm not sure how a python script would merge the results, but I suppose it's possible. The resulting CSV file could then be displayed by a dashboard.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How did you verify the token is not getting passed into the map command?

Have you tried using the concatenation operator?

| inputlookup WH.csv
| table ware_house
| map search="search index=wh source=$ware_house$."_WH_OVERVIEW" | head 1
| stats list(Routes) AS ROUTE list(source) AS WH | appendcols [ search index=wh source=$ware_house$."_WH_SHIPPING" | head 5 | stats list(LabelsCreated) AS LabelsCreated by LabelType | stats sum(LabelsCreated) AS SUMMARY ] "

Also, I think the subsearch to appendcols won't work.  The second stats command is trying to add up a multi-value field, which it probably won't do.

---

kiragsplunk
Explorer

I ran the query manually to validate the second string.. it would be great if I get this fixed in search..

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Let's break the query up, get the pieces working, then put them together.  Do these two searches produce the expected results?

index=wh [ | inputlookup WH.csv | eval source=ware_house . "_WH_OVERVIEW" | fields source | format ] 
| head 1
| stats list(Routes) AS ROUTE list(source) AS WH by source

index=wh [ | inputlookup WH.csv | eval source=ware_house . "_WH_SHIPPING" | fields source | format ] 
| head 5 
| stats list(LabelsCreated) AS LabelsCreated by LabelType 
| stats sum(LabelsCreated) AS SUMMARY
---

kiragsplunk
Explorer

I am getting expected results in both search, could you please help me to append it, if I append the results I am getting time  range Error and no results found. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
We've verified each subsearch works. Good.
Now the problem is how to combine them. To correlate the events from each subsearch, there must be something in common between them. I see no commonality, but I'm not familiar with the data. Do the subsearches share a field?
---

kiragsplunk
Explorer

No common in between.. those are two different sources from the same index.  I  don't see any common field in between both search. ( except the index)

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
That's a big stumbling block. The lack of something in common means Splunk has nothing to use to pair up events from each search.
---

kiragsplunk
Explorer

May I use a python script to run each query separately then combine the results to a csv .

that results can be viewed is Dashboard right? Please advise.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
I'm not sure how a python script would merge the results, but I suppose it's possible. The resulting CSV file could then be displayed by a dashboard.
---

kiragsplunk
Explorer

Thanks Rich,

Could you please recommend any search string to accomplish this. as you said appendcols not working in map.  if I manually assign value (XXX_WH_OVERVIEW & XXX_WH_SHIPPING) works fine. whats the best approach do you recommend?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...