Splunk Search

Macro Expansion - Possible Bug

etoombs
Path Finder

Hi all!  I've got an issue with macro expansion taking an excessively long time when you use the keyboard shortcut - ctrl+shift+e.  I'm looking for someone to try the same thing on their own system and let me know if you're seeing this to. That will help me determine if this is a problem in my environment or a possible bug in the software.

To test, find any macro in your environment.

Establish baseline:

Enter just the macro name in the search box and press ctrl+shift+e (or command+shift+e, I think, on MAC).  Note the length of time it takes for the modal pop up to show you the expanded macro. It is not necessary to run the search.

`mymacro`

Test issue:

Using the same macro as above, create a simple search that has the macro inside of a sub-search. Try expanding the macro. Are you getting a slow response? For me, it's >20 seconds for it to expand the macro 

|makeresults
|append [`mymacro`]

I appreciate the help from anyone willing to test. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Same speed here.

What is your environment like?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

etoombs
Path Finder

Hi! Thanks for checking. So... I did more digging on my side. On a non-clustered search head, I've got no delay. On my clustered-search heads, I do. I have two SH clusters and both are impacted. Splunk version is 9.1.1.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I just checked on a Splunk Cloud SHC and saw to difference in expansion time so I suspect there's something happening in your environment.

Do you see any relevant messages in splunkd.log on the SH?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No difference - same speed - what's your macro doing?

0 Karma

etoombs
Path Finder

It doesn't seem to matter. The macro expansion can be as simple as a single word that it's replacing and the problem still happens.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...