Splunk Search

How would I look for dashboards/alerts not in use?

npanda04

Hi Team ,

Has anyone worked on finding out unused dashboards or alerts in Splunk .

Can you please assist me .

Thanks in Advance

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You'd think there'd be a dashboard for this similar to the one for Orphaned KOs, but there isn't.

The solution is to create your own, first by building a list of all dashboards or alerts using a rest command.

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/data/ui/views splunk_server=local ```List all dashboards```

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches splunk_server=local | search alert_type!="always" ``` List all alerts ```

Then crawl the access logs (index=_internal source=*access.log) sufficiently far back (up to 30 days) to find which dashboards or alerts where accessed.  Then use a subsearch to find the difference between  that and the list of all dashboards/alerts.

| rest splunk_server=local /servicesNS/-/-/data/ui/views | search NOT [index=_internal source=*access.log <<SPL to find the dashboard name>> | dedup <<dashboard name>> ]
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

npanda04

Thanks for your response @richgalloway . Let me try this out and check 🙂

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Probably you need to extend retention period for _internal log from it’s default? Otherwise time period for searching from access.logs are quite short.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...