Splunk Search

How to lookup on all values of a multivalue field?

ave19
Explorer

I have an external lookup script that works mostly fine. Given an IP address from an event, it can match the address to a CIDR formatted allocation, showing me what organization the IP belongs to.

Some systems have more than one IP address, and Splunk doesn't seem to want to lookup both IPs, it usually looks up the first, assigns an organization, and then seems to ignore the second. But I need both organization names. An event like:

2011-11-10 09:38:55,blah,cat,dog,"192.168.0.2, 192.168.5.2",foo,bar

Comes back with "org=SectionA" based on the 0.2 address, but what about 5.2? How do I get Splunk to keep looking?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ave19
Explorer

I found that mvexpand does the trick. It makes two separate events, one with each IP. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but close enough to get the job done.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mag314
Explorer

Is this still the case where you can not do lookups on multi value fields?

e.g.   I might have a list of 100 hosts similar to:        hostname,   (ip1, ip2)  

I want to add location, sys-owner to this table.  Both IPs may have the same location but sys-owner will be differing.  lookup table

I want to see something like the following come out for each line. 

hostname  ip1   Toronto      Smith

ip2    Toronto     Jones

How would I do this?

| inputlookup mylastresults.csv
| makemv delim=" " ip
| mvexpand ip
| lookup gatheripinfo ip OUTPUT location sys-owner
| table hostname ip sys-owner

0 Karma

ave19
Explorer

I found that mvexpand does the trick. It makes two separate events, one with each IP. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but close enough to get the job done.

0 Karma

ave19
Explorer

We manipulated the data before adding it to Splunk. However, I really wanted dynamic data, so I kept digging. I found that I can use mvexpand to get both zones out.

0 Karma

johandk
Path Finder

I've had a very similar problem with CIDR matching. I'm curious as to how you managed to do this? As far as I know Splunk doesn't do lookups at index time? Or are you manipulating the data before sending to Splunk?

0 Karma

ave19
Explorer

You know, since the zone doesn't change often (or maybe ever) we took our input data and wrote a script to do the lookup and add the zones as an extra field before indexing. No more lookup script.

0 Karma

subhadipc
Explorer

try using "192.168.0.2" OR "192.168.5.2"

0 Karma

ave19
Explorer

I don't think I can, I have 11.2 million events in here. There's like, 6 digits worth of distinct IPs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...