Splunk Search

How to check if field exists and bring another field if true

fpedrosa
Engager

Hi, I have this search:

| spath 
| rename object.* as *
| spath path=events{} output=events
| stats by timestamp, events, application, event_type, account_id, context.display_name,
| mvexpand events
| eval _raw=events
| kv
| table timestamp, payload.rule_description,  "context.display_name",  account_id, "event_type", "application", "payload.rule_url"
| rename account_id as "Account ID", timestamp as "Timestamp", context.display_name as "System", context.host_url as "Host URL", event_type as "Event Type", "title" as "Title", "application" as "Application",  "payload.rule_url" as "URL"

I have a json with multiple `events,  inside this event  I have "payload.rule_description", but, some record, doesn't have this "payload.rule_description" object, so, I don't have the "payload.rule_description".

How can I check if the record has the "payload.rule_description" if not, brings `event_type`  instead?

Tried to use `eval title=if(payload.rule_description, payload.rule_description, event_type)`  doesn't work.

Thanks

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ahh, right. You have a dot in your field name. In such case (non alphanumerical characters in field name) you have to put the field name in single quotes.

| eval title=coalesce('payload.rule_description',eventtype)

View solution in original post

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval title=coalesce(payload.rule_description,eventtype)
0 Karma

fpedrosa
Engager

Thanks @PickleRick  but didn't work... brings me event_type for all records, even the record with payload.rule_description

fpedrosa_0-1646831301179.png

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ahh, right. You have a dot in your field name. In such case (non alphanumerical characters in field name) you have to put the field name in single quotes.

| eval title=coalesce('payload.rule_description',eventtype)
0 Karma

fpedrosa
Engager

Thanks again, unfortunately still the same... here is my search:

| spath 
| rename object.* as *
| spath path=events{} output=events
| stats by timestamp, events, application, event_type, account_id, context.display_name,
| mvexpand events 
| eval _raw=events
| eval title=coalesce('payload.rule_description', event_type) 
| kv
| table timestamp, title,  "context.display_name",  account_id, "event_type", "application", "payload.rule_url"
| rename account_id as "Account ID", timestamp as "Timestamp", context.display_name as "System", context.host_url as "Host URL", event_type as "Event Type", "title" as "Title", "application" as "Application",  "payload.rule_url" as "URL"
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

But you're evaluating this too early. You have to do it after kv. Before kv you don't have values in your fields.

0 Karma

fpedrosa
Engager

@PickleRick   do you know how I can get the array index for the json?  for example, with my search, I'll split the `events`  array into a new record, but I need to know the index of the original event, so I can grab it when I'll develop row expansion, to show more data.

Do you know how to do this?

0 Karma

fpedrosa
Engager

You are right!! Works now! Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...