Splunk Search

How to get the field name of the maximum value of several fields?

brajaram
Communicator

I have data that has several fields. I want to compare the fields to find the max value of them, which I can do via
| eval maximum=max(field1, field2, field3)

However, I also want to return the field name of the value that is the highest. Is there a simple function that does this?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

masonmorales
Influencer

It would be helpful to have some context on what your end goal is, but what you're describing is possible by just doing something like this:

index=_internal source=*metrics* | fieldsummary | sort - max | head 1 | fields field max

or

index=_internal source=*metrics* | fieldsummary | stats max(max) as max by field | sort - max

View solution in original post

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

It would be helpful to have some context on what your end goal is, but what you're describing is possible by just doing something like this:

index=_internal source=*metrics* | fieldsummary | sort - max | head 1 | fields field max

or

index=_internal source=*metrics* | fieldsummary | stats max(max) as max by field | sort - max
0 Karma

sunilsk1
Path Finder

After sorting . pipe the result to "|head 1" to display just the one row you are interested in.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...