Splunk Search

How to filter values to remove attributes from a table?

gmartinv

Hello Splunkers,

I appended two different searches within Splunk. Then I created a table, and now I need to filter the values of the Terminated_List attribute that do not contain the string Terminated. I am using the following search, but the final where is not working properly:

index=employees [search index=employees source="*_Terminated_Employee_*" | stats latest(source) AS source] | dedup Email_Address | fields Email_Address Terminated_List |eval e_Mail=tostring(upper(Email_Address)) | eval Terminated_List="Terminated Employees"

| append [search index=employees [search index=employees source="*Terminated IT Contractor*" | stats latest(source) AS source] | dedup Email | fields Email Terminated_List |eval e_Mail=tostring(upper(Email)) | eval Terminated_List="Terminated Contractors"] 

| table e_Mail Terminated_List | where Terminated_List!="*Terminated*"

Any ideas or suggestions??

Thank you!!

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Unlike search, where does not use * as a wildcard character - it's a literal. You can use where NOT match(Terminated_List, ".*Terminated.*"), but it's simpler to use search "*Terminated*".

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Unlike search, where does not use * as a wildcard character - it's a literal. You can use where NOT match(Terminated_List, ".*Terminated.*"), but it's simpler to use search "*Terminated*".

---
0 Karma

gmartinv

Hi there,

Thank you for your response. A have a few questions:

• The MATCH function is working as expected. However, why do we need to add "." before the "*"?
  • The SEARCH function is not working. I get "No results found"...do you know why?

Thank you again.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

match uses regular expressions. In regular expressions, .* means any character, any number of times.
I don't know why search isn't working.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...