Splunk Search

How to edit my search get the subsearch to pass multiple values to the main search?

rafiqul

Subsearch returning large number of MAC Address and pass each of them to the main (outer) search to evaluate if they are present.

I have the following example subsearch which yields 100s of DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS (under conditions in the preceding search), and I need to pass each one of the MAC to the outer search so the result gets me a status of MAC Address if they are present.

sourcetype="aaa-AuthAttempts"  APMacAuth [search sourcetype="aaa-AuthAttempts" | rex "(?<AP_MAC_ADDRESS>[a-fA-F0-9\-]{12,17}\:)" | search NOT AP_MAC_ADDRESS="*" | rex "(?<DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS>[a-fA-F0-9\-]{12,17})" | rex "QueryCoA\,(?<Dallas_ISG>[^\,]+)"  | table DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS]

It doesn't seem to be working. Anyone can help me please? Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If you want to pass a named field value from the subsearch to main search, the field with same name should be available in main search (which is not here as you're extracting that field using rex). So you've two options,

1) Extract the field in main search and then apply filters using subsearch

sourcetype="aaa-AuthAttempts"  APMacAuth |  rex "(?<DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS>[a-fA-F0-9\-]{12,17})" | search  [search sourcetype="aaa-AuthAttempts" | rex "(?<AP_MAC_ADDRESS>[a-fA-F0-9\-]{12,17}\:)" | search NOT AP_MAC_ADDRESS="*" | rex "(?<DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS>[a-fA-F0-9\-]{12,17})"  | stats count by DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS| table DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS]

2) Use the text filter instead of named field filter

sourcetype="aaa-AuthAttempts"  APMacAuth [search sourcetype="aaa-AuthAttempts" | rex "(?<AP_MAC_ADDRESS>[a-fA-F0-9\-]{12,17}\:)" | search NOT AP_MAC_ADDRESS="*" | rex "(?<DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS>[a-fA-F0-9\-]{12,17})"  | stats count by DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS| table DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS | rename DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS as search ]

rafiqul

Thanks ! That helps passing the DEVICE_MAC_ADDRESS to the parent search. The MAC address I am passing includes duplicates. How can I pass distinct MACs from sub search to the parent search ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...