Splunk Search

How to display search DEBUG messages in Job Inspector UI?

tsunamii
Path Finder

Looking to how to enable the message block starting with "The following messages were returned by the search subsystem:" and the DEBUG messages that follow. (I've seen INFO and WARN also displayed.)

alt text

1 Solution

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are two different ways of recording a message for a search in splunk 6.2 (and perhaps in future releases as well): Logging and "Info Messages". Both subscribe to the DEBUG/INFO/WARN/ERROR categorization. Logging only shows up in search.log and is configured via ./etc/log-searchprocess.cfg. "Info Messages" are stored in info.csv. The controls are in limits.conf that allow you to cap both the number and severity level. The defaults are set to 20 messages and INFO level only.

I have tested with the following, and was seeing DEBUG messages in the job inspector UI:

# ./etc/system/local/limits.conf 
[search_info] 
# These setting control logging of error messages to info.csv 
# All messages will be logged to search.log regardless of these settings. 
# maximum number of error messages to log in info.csv 
# Set to 0 to remove limit, may affect search performance 
max_infocsv_messages = 0 
# log level = DEBUG | INFO | WARN | ERROR 
infocsv_log_level = DEBUG 

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

In Splunk 6.4, you probably want to do this in etc/system/local/limits.conf

[search_metrics]
debug_metrics = true

From limits.conf.spec

[search_metrics]
debug_metrics = <bool>
* This indicates whether we should output more detailed search metrics for
  debugging.
* This will do things like break out where the time was spent by peer, and may
  add additional deeper levels of metrics.
* This is NOT related to "metrics.log" but to the "Execution Costs" and
  "Performance" fields in the Search inspector, or the count_map in info.csv.
* Defaults to false

ranuganti

hello lguinn,

I am able to see those warnings and errors in splunk GUI but am unable to access them through splunk java sdk is there any way to access through job in java?
*Splunk documentation shows that there is a property called messages in job but i couldn't able to find it in my sdk.

Please help me out.
thanks,

0 Karma

splunkIT
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are two different ways of recording a message for a search in splunk 6.2 (and perhaps in future releases as well): Logging and "Info Messages". Both subscribe to the DEBUG/INFO/WARN/ERROR categorization. Logging only shows up in search.log and is configured via ./etc/log-searchprocess.cfg. "Info Messages" are stored in info.csv. The controls are in limits.conf that allow you to cap both the number and severity level. The defaults are set to 20 messages and INFO level only.

I have tested with the following, and was seeing DEBUG messages in the job inspector UI:

# ./etc/system/local/limits.conf 
[search_info] 
# These setting control logging of error messages to info.csv 
# All messages will be logged to search.log regardless of these settings. 
# maximum number of error messages to log in info.csv 
# Set to 0 to remove limit, may affect search performance 
max_infocsv_messages = 0 
# log level = DEBUG | INFO | WARN | ERROR 
infocsv_log_level = DEBUG 

ranuganti

Hello SplunkIT,

I am able to see those warnings and errors in splunk GUI but am unable to access them through splunk java sdk is there any way to access through job in java?
*Splunk documentation shows that there is a property called messages in job but i couldn't able to find it in my sdk.

Please help me out.
thanks,

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...