Splunk Search

How to chart values over time

theouhuios
Motivator

Hello

What I am trying to do is to literally chart the values over time. Now the value can be anything. It can be a string too. My goal here is to just show what values occurred over that time

Eg Data:
alt text

I need to be able to show in a graph that these job_id's were being executed at that point of time. Is it possible? Do I need to use some advance charting mechanism to show this?

Tags (2)

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

This should do it:

... | timechart span=1h count by job_id
0 Karma

mporath_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unfortunately there's no out-of-the-box way to do that (yet). Using a hack gets you pretty close: You could do

... | timechart values(linecount) by job_id span=1m

Given fine enough resolution for span, this sets the value for each job_id to 1. You can then do a line chart, like so:
alt text

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If you just want to plot a point to denote that a particular job ID was run, try something like this

your current search giving above table | mvexpand job_id | eval value=1 | table _time job_id value

This will plot a value of 1 for all job_id (select column chart).

*Updated answer *

your current search giving above table | mvexpand job_id | eval value=1 | chart values(value) over _time by job_id limit=0

theouhuios
Motivator

Well yes, thats the plan. But I still need to show which job_id was running then.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give updated answer a try

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for the correction.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried appending a timechart command to your search?

... | timechart values(job_id)
---
0 Karma

theouhuios
Motivator

I did. I think the problem is its not a straight number . As you see in the image above, it has a _ in between the two numbers. May be because of that it doesn't know how to chart it

0 Karma

theouhuios
Motivator
|replace "*_*" with "**" in job_id 

This make it a number. But thats not really what I want to do. I just want to show the value by _time.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I sort of expected that. Charting is something best done with numbers. I'm not sure of the utility of charting unique strings. @woodcock's answer will show job_id's broken down by time. Perhaps you can experiment with different visualizations to see if any work for you.

---
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Something like this will work:

... | bucket _time span=1d | stats values(job_id) by _time
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...