Splunk Search

How do you identify all accounts not automatically locked after 5 consecutive failed log in attempts?

sahiltcs
Path Finder

I need to check how to identify all technical accounts that are not automatically locked after 5 consecutive failed log in attempts

Please help with the query

Thanks,
Sahil

0 Karma
1 Solution

lakshman239
Influencer

When an account gets locked out, Active Directory sends out EventCode=4740. So, if you are indexing AD security logs, you could check for lock-outs using

index=wineventlog EventCode=4740 Account_Name=* ..... shows all locked accounts.

index=msad | timechart span=5m sum(badPwdCount) AS total by sAMAccountName ... gives count of lockouts for each user.

So, you can run the 2nd search to check for lockout counts and check if you have a 4740 event for that user. If there is no record, that could potentially indicate an account not getting locked out.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

When an account gets locked out, Active Directory sends out EventCode=4740. So, if you are indexing AD security logs, you could check for lock-outs using

index=wineventlog EventCode=4740 Account_Name=* ..... shows all locked accounts.

index=msad | timechart span=5m sum(badPwdCount) AS total by sAMAccountName ... gives count of lockouts for each user.

So, you can run the 2nd search to check for lockout counts and check if you have a 4740 event for that user. If there is no record, that could potentially indicate an account not getting locked out.

0 Karma

sahiltcs
Path Finder

I checked Above query but not worked , Can you give me proper query so that I can test, May be query is right but some argument is missing.

Thanks,
Sahil

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...