Splunk Search

How do you identify all accounts not automatically locked after 5 consecutive failed log in attempts?

sahiltcs
Path Finder

I need to check how to identify all technical accounts that are not automatically locked after 5 consecutive failed log in attempts

Please help with the query

Thanks,
Sahil

0 Karma
1 Solution

lakshman239
Influencer

When an account gets locked out, Active Directory sends out EventCode=4740. So, if you are indexing AD security logs, you could check for lock-outs using

index=wineventlog EventCode=4740 Account_Name=* ..... shows all locked accounts.

index=msad | timechart span=5m sum(badPwdCount) AS total by sAMAccountName ... gives count of lockouts for each user.

So, you can run the 2nd search to check for lockout counts and check if you have a 4740 event for that user. If there is no record, that could potentially indicate an account not getting locked out.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lakshman239
Influencer

When an account gets locked out, Active Directory sends out EventCode=4740. So, if you are indexing AD security logs, you could check for lock-outs using

index=wineventlog EventCode=4740 Account_Name=* ..... shows all locked accounts.

index=msad | timechart span=5m sum(badPwdCount) AS total by sAMAccountName ... gives count of lockouts for each user.

So, you can run the 2nd search to check for lockout counts and check if you have a 4740 event for that user. If there is no record, that could potentially indicate an account not getting locked out.

0 Karma

sahiltcs
Path Finder

I checked Above query but not worked , Can you give me proper query so that I can test, May be query is right but some argument is missing.

Thanks,
Sahil

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...