Splunk Search

How do I get a distinct value count from two fields?

twh1
Communicator

I have two different fields (DB_INSTANCE_NAME & INSTANCE_NAME ) in two source types. These fields contain a similar value. I want distinct counts after combining both pieces of field data.

DB_INSTANCE_NAME= ansrp, flexp, sunopt, vlprod, buybprod, FDPOSPRD, aasprod, dcpscp, hydra, cidprod,  gcdprd, pspprod, HDMPRD
INSTANCE_NAME= obieep, cnavprd, gcdprd, pspprod, svdprod, tumss2, fepauth, rulesu, ecmsprod, HDMPRD, csprod, RFEP1, pcip, vlprod

I want the count of ansrp, flexp, sunopt, vlprod, buybprod, FDPOSPRD, aasprod, dcpscp, hydra, cidprod, gcdprd, pspprod, HDMPRD, obieep, cnavprd, svdprod, tumss2, fepauth, rulesu, ecmsprod, HDMPRD, csprod, RFEP1, pcip

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What you do is combine them then count them.

index=foo (sourcetype=st1 OR sourcetype=st2) | eval combinedField=coalesce(DB_INSTANCE_NAME, INSTANCE_NAME) | stats dc(combinedField) as Count
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

nick405060
Motivator

Credit goes to @micahkemp:

| stats dc(eval(mvappend(field1, field2, field3)))

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What you do is combine them then count them.

index=foo (sourcetype=st1 OR sourcetype=st2) | eval combinedField=coalesce(DB_INSTANCE_NAME, INSTANCE_NAME) | stats dc(combinedField) as Count
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...