Splunk Search

How do I get Automatic Lookup to handle null value lookups?

khudson3

My automatic lookup csv file is using say 2 columns; Col1 & Col2. Row entries are 'Success' & 'Failure' in Col1. Col 2 has the value / char '1' & null / no value entry in the opposite cells. I want searches to lookup and replace null with value=Failure. I'm seeing the mapping for 'Success' working but nothing for null / no cell value entry. Is there a csv file value / character entry that maps to null search value?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You can add | fillnull value="Failure" after the lookup or you can create a lookup definition that sets a default value and use the lookup definition with the | lookup call (not the lookup file).

0 Karma

HiroshiSatoh
Champion

Isn't it possible to use calculated fields instead of "automatic lookup"?

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

yeah that's a better idea if it's just success/failure 🙂

0 Karma

khudson3

The real life scenario is mapping to lists from a specification, where there will be more than just two outcomes:

Col1,Col2
No failure,null
Source application or not sent,0
System,1

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

why not just use fillnull first and follow that up with a lookup ?

0 Karma

khudson3

Yes I could easily workaround the issue with fullnull or eval etc. But I wanted to understand whether there was a direct csv mapping that could work, as it seems quite poor if automatic lookup cannot handle null values appropriately.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The easiest thing to do is change the lookup csv file to not have an empty Col2.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

khudson3

Null is being returned for the search that the lookup is running on, so 0 cannot be used and the fullnull command can only be executed after the search. Need to know whether there is a csv mapping for null char.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried using isnull to test the output of the lookup? Share your query and I may be able to be more specific?

---
0 Karma

khudson3

Yes I've tried issull. My search events are returning true null values, but the auto lookup is not applying / handling the transformation and the values remain null. In the auto lookup csv I've used entries ="",empty etc.

If I use | fillnull value=- or equiv then I see the null automatic lookup new fields but the data is still null.

The search query does not really have a bearing on the question as it contains no transformations.

0 Karma

khudson3

Doesn't have an empty Col2 it has 1 & null cells. 1 is working for Success whereas null is not being mapped.

0 Karma

khudson3

Col1 Col2
Success 1
Failure

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

null==empty. If you can change the CSV file to have

Col1,Col2
Success,1
Failure,0

then you'll avoid convoluted SPL.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...