Splunk Search

How can we use predict command with tstats?

att35
Builder

Hi,

I have the following search that works against a datamodel to plot a timechart. How can I use predict command with this output?

| tstats summariesonly=true count FROM datamodel="modelname.dataset" where dataset.field="xyz"  by dataset.field, _time span=1h prestats=t  | timechart  span=1h count  by dataset.field usenull=f useother=f

If I try to do following,

| predict dataset.field

search failed with this error.
command="predict", Unknown field: dataset.field

What is the correct way to do this?

UPDATE:
Turns out, | predict "xyz" works, but this would mean it is working just for that one value of the field.

Thanks
Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

timechart is using dataset.field for values of field names in the y axis and doesn't exist any more - try predict count

0 Karma

att35
Builder

@ITWhisperer 

Same result.

command="predict", Unknown field: count

With timechart everything works fine, it plots using dataset.field or even with "field" after rename. But predict doesn't seem to be taking any option as input. Only way predict works here is if I use direct value of the field.

| predict value

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried renaming the field?

| tstats summariesonly=true count FROM datamodel="modelname.dataset" where dataset.field="xyz"  by dataset.field, _time span=1h prestats=t  
| rename dataset.field as field
| timechart  span=1h count by field usenull=f useother=f
| predict field
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

att35
Builder

Hi @richgalloway ,

Tried that but now it just gives same error message for field.

command="predict", Unknown field: field
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...