Splunk Search

How can I use a source folder as a input token?

external_alien_
Explorer

Hi guys!
I have a bunch of test data in JSON files as my sources and they're structured in the following way:
"/MyFolder/ProjectName/RunID/jsonFile" such as for example "/MyFolder/test1/47/ErrorMessages.json".
I want to populate two drop down menus in my dashboards with ProjectName and RunID.
So that the first drop down get populated with Project names that the user can select. I then use this selection as a token in the second drop down menu and populate it with all the runs for that project. I now have two tokens that I can use for searching.
How can I best go about this? If there's a search I can do directly in Splunk to table all the project names and RunIDs this would of course be the easiest and most ideal. Otherwise I guess I'd have to start looking into creating a regEx or a lookup, but I'm not very proficient at those =p
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks you!

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since the ProjectName and RunID as part of the source/file path is something custom to your requirement, there will not be any readily available table to get you that.

Once this you can try is to run a metadata/tstats search to get list of all sources (for your index/sourcetype of course) and use field extraction to get those values listed/made available for dashboard dropdowns. Following search can give you list of ProjectName adn RunID from the source:-

| tstats count WHRE index=PutYourIndex sourcetype=PutYourSourceType by source | rex field=source "^\/[^\/]+\/(?<ProjectName>[^\/]+)\/(?<RunID>[^\/]+)" | stats count by ProjectName RunID | table ProjectName RunID

Now you can either use the search directly for the dropdown OR setup a scheduled search to write this data into a lookup file and then use the lookup file for the dropdown.

View solution in original post

astalv

do you want something like this?
| rex field=source "\/(?P[^\/]+)\/(?P[^\/]+)\/(?P[^\/]+)"

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since the ProjectName and RunID as part of the source/file path is something custom to your requirement, there will not be any readily available table to get you that.

Once this you can try is to run a metadata/tstats search to get list of all sources (for your index/sourcetype of course) and use field extraction to get those values listed/made available for dashboard dropdowns. Following search can give you list of ProjectName adn RunID from the source:-

| tstats count WHRE index=PutYourIndex sourcetype=PutYourSourceType by source | rex field=source "^\/[^\/]+\/(?<ProjectName>[^\/]+)\/(?<RunID>[^\/]+)" | stats count by ProjectName RunID | table ProjectName RunID

Now you can either use the search directly for the dropdown OR setup a scheduled search to write this data into a lookup file and then use the lookup file for the dropdown.

external_alien_
Explorer

Beautiful, worked perfectly! Exactly what I needed!

Thank you! 😃

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...