Splunk Search

How can I search events based on another lookup file subsearch using like.

JMPP
Explorer

Hi,

Would you mind to help on this?, I have been working for days to figure out how can I pass a lookup file subsearch as "like" condition in main search, something like:

To examples:
1) 

. . main search| where like(onerowevent, "%".[search [| inputlookup blabla.csv| <whatever_condition_to_make_onecompare_field>|table onecompare }]."%"]])

2)

. . main search| eval  onerowevent=if(like(onerowevent,, "%".[search [| inputlookup blabla.csv| <whatever_condition_to_make_onecompare_field>|table onecompare }]."%"]])),onerowevent,"")
Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By default, a subsearch returns its results as a formatted string.  Run the subsearch by itself with | format appended to see what it looks like.

A workaround may be to use the return command instead of table.

main search| eval  onerowevent=if(like(onerowevent,, "%".[search [| inputlookup blabla.csv| <whatever_condition_to_make_onecompare_field>|return $onecompare }]."%"]])),onerowevent,"")
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

JMPP
Explorer

Hi @richgalloway 

Your sugestion to use return helped me to make the query works. I have made to make some adjustments too :

..main search |where like(onerowevent, [| inputlookup blabla.csv| <whatever_condition_to_make_onecompare_field>| eval onecompare="\"%".onecompare."%\""|return $onecompare]

The only thing is, when I'm using '   |return $onecompare  ', I'm missing one row from the output, even if I test the subsearch separately.

I will figure out what is making ' return ' clause skip the row.

Regards,

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By default, the return command returns only the first value of the specified fields.  Use return n to return n number of values.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By default, a subsearch returns its results as a formatted string.  Run the subsearch by itself with | format appended to see what it looks like.

A workaround may be to use the return command instead of table.

main search| eval  onerowevent=if(like(onerowevent,, "%".[search [| inputlookup blabla.csv| <whatever_condition_to_make_onecompare_field>|return $onecompare }]."%"]])),onerowevent,"")
---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...