Splunk Search

Getting useful information from a multiline event

alimorton

In one of our log files, we see two lines that follow eachother when a user logs in. The first line has the user's IP. The second has their username. I want to be able to have a table which shows something like the username, ip, and the number of login attempts.

This is one example:

Dec 23 10:12:23.98411 nyggmeorcappp1 cds71[26462:t@2247      ]/info:  [orcserver] - User connected from [10.158.45.178:3904]
Dec 23 10:12:23.98767 nyggmeorcappp1 cds71[26462:t@2247      ]/info:  [orcserver:kallispy-asynch] - Connect done OK [kallispy-asynch].

I would have no problem creating the search if all this data was on one line, but since it is split I am having difficulties.

What's the best way to accomplish this? I first tried to create this into a multiline event like this in the application props.conf:

MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER = User connected from

But this didn't seem to work, next user that logged in still had individual events for each line. Any ideas?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

southeringtonp
Motivator

The most common approach is to use the transaction command.

Something like:

orcserver ("user connected" OR "connect")
| transaction host, pid maxspan=1s maxevents=2 startswith=("user connected")
| stats count as "ConnectionCount" by user, src_ip
| table user, src_ip, ConnectionCount

(The example transaction assumes that "26462" in your sample log is being extracted into a field called pid.)

View solution in original post

southeringtonp
Motivator

The most common approach is to use the transaction command.

Something like:

orcserver ("user connected" OR "connect")
| transaction host, pid maxspan=1s maxevents=2 startswith=("user connected")
| stats count as "ConnectionCount" by user, src_ip
| table user, src_ip, ConnectionCount

(The example transaction assumes that "26462" in your sample log is being extracted into a field called pid.)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...