Splunk Search

Generate a lookup for EPS

csprice
Path Finder

Hello.

I have an index with traffic from 10 devices. I want to generate a lookup that contains the avg EPS over the course of 7 days utilizing tstats.

my current search - cobbled together from scouring answers:
| tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-7d by _time, host span=1s
| timechart span=1h max(COUNT) as eps by host

kind of works, but spits out >50000 rows. What I'd like is a host - xxx eps looking over the past 7 days.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

csprice
Path Finder

Utilizing some suggestions here and a little more digging, what I came up with was the following:

| tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-7d by host, _time span=1s
| stats avg(COUNT) as eps by host
| eval eps=round(eps,2)

This produced the table I was after that I could then output to a lookup.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

csprice
Path Finder

Utilizing some suggestions here and a little more digging, what I came up with was the following:

| tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-7d by host, _time span=1s
| stats avg(COUNT) as eps by host
| eval eps=round(eps,2)

This produced the table I was after that I could then output to a lookup.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-7d latest=-6d by _time, host span=1s
| timechart span=1h max(COUNT) as eps by host
| append [ | tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-6d latest=-5d by _time, host span=1s
| timechart span=1h max(COUNT) as eps by host]
| append [ | tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-5d latest=-4d by _time, host span=1s
| append [ | tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-4d latest=3d by _time, host span=1s
| append [ | tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-3d latest=-2d by _time, host span=1s
| append [ | tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-2d latest=-1d by _time, host span=1s
| append [ | tstats count as COUNT where index=firewall earliest=-1d by _time, host span=1s

hi, @csprice
will you stack append

0 Karma

csprice
Path Finder

@to4kawa Thank you for your response, but this essentially does the same as my initial search. I'm looking for output similar to the one Rich Galloway put out - just one that looks at the network devices inside the firewall index.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not as fast as tstats, but this query should do the job,

index=_internal source=*metrics.log group=per_index_thruput series=firewall earliest=-7d 
| bucket span=1h _time 
| stats max(eps) by host
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

csprice
Path Finder

Thank you Rich for your response. However, this isn't quite what I was after. This gave me a list of my splunk infrastructure and max eps.

I'm trying to look at my firewall index and pull out the hosts that are pushing data there. Then just keep track of their EPS. That way I can run a correlation search to check and see when/if their EPS falls off to create a notable in ES.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...