Splunk Search

Fields vs table vs nothing?

aberkow
Builder

Thought there was an answer on this already but can't find it, but for something like this, which is the most performant and why?

index=potato
| evals
| fields
| stats

index=potato
| evals
| stats

index=potato
| evals
| table
| stats

I would have that just the stats would've been the fastest, but potentially if fields can be done on the indexer that would be faster?

Thanks!

Tags (1)

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You should never use table in the middle of any search; always use fields if anything and save table for the very end (or debugging, because it forces your search to switch to the stats tab). If you are immediately pumping the data into stats then there is no reason to do fields because it is an extra pass through all events to add no value (because stats is going to drop all of those fields as part of its work anyway).

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The chief distinction between table and fields is that table returns results to the search head whereas 'fields' does not.
Early use of 'fields' can improve performance in events with many fields by reducing the number of fields the query has to process.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

yshen
Communicator

I also note that with Splunk SDK (Python), at the end of the embedded query, using 'fields' to select the returned fields, it does not work as I desired with all fields returned. But 'table' would result in only the listed fields returned.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...