Splunk Search

Counting session IDs across multiple fields

benkeen
Engager

Hi all, brand new to splunk search syntax. I have a command like so:

... | stats count by userAgent, browserVersion, osName

That yields a table with those three columns about browsers (user agent, browser version & the OS) plus a fourth column, containing the total count of each row. Nice! However, I need a final row containing the count of unique session IDs for those rows. I know I can get access to the session IDs via session_id but I don't see how to sum them up (dc() command...?) for the unique combinations of userAgent-browserVersion-osName.

Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If what you want is "the count of unique session IDS" then try ... | stats count, dc(session_id) by userAgent, browserVersion, osName.
If you want "to sum them up" then you're likely out of luck since non-numeric values (which is what session IDs probably are) can't be summed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

kartm2020
Communicator

Hope i understand the requirement. Please try the below query.

| stats count(session_id) by userAgent, browserVersion, osName

Please let me know if it doesn't meet your requirement

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If what you want is "the count of unique session IDS" then try ... | stats count, dc(session_id) by userAgent, browserVersion, osName.
If you want "to sum them up" then you're likely out of luck since non-numeric values (which is what session IDs probably are) can't be summed.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...