Splunk Search

Can you create/modify a lookup file via REST API?

a212830
Champion

Hi,

Is it possible to create/modify a lookup file via Splunk's REST API? I don't see anything that addresses this functionality (which, in my mind, is a big hole).

Labels (2)
Tags (4)

a212830
Champion

Thanks. I could do all of this outside Splunk, but I'm looking for something within Splunk (module, or even better, an SPL command) that would let users do it.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That kinda implies doing stuff like: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/1724 (which Damien mentioned)

0 Karma

a212830
Champion

Thanks, not really what I'm looking for though. Was hoping for something similar to dbquery, where I can create the actual lookup as part of my command, and update it that way as well. Don't want to use a gui to create the lookup (or than the actual spl command), don't want to create it/update it via curl at the OS layer. Want it all to work similar to dbquery, only using REST...

Doesn't sound like it's available (though, I will look at the utility listed below...)

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

An easy button it is you want (said like Yoda). 😉 Yea, looks like nothing currently available. Welcome to create it and post your first app! hint hint. lol

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

If the lookup file is "staged" on the Splunk instance (ie: you might have SCP'd it up) , you can then use :

Create

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/RESTAPI/RESTknowledge#POST_data.2Flookup-table-fil...

Modify

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.3/RESTAPI/RESTknowledge#POST_data.2Flookup-table-fil...

But you can't remotely upload a new lookup file with these REST endpoints , you'd need to create a Custom REST Endpoint to do this.

This app might interest you : https://apps.splunk.com/app/1724/

Lowell
Super Champion

Can anyone explain why 2 years later there STILL isn't a better answer to this question? I shouldn't have to write a custom endpoint to do something as simple as upload a CSV file. If I have to push it to a staging area first, that's fine. Where's the REST endpoint for that? The UI has supported remote uploads ever since the lookups feature was first introduced. What's the deal? If this feature is being intentionally excluded can someone please explain why?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @lowell, do you recall if ever a feature request was made for this? It might have not been addressed simply because of other items with higher customer demand taking the dev resources. If you have a feature request I can make sure a corresponding engineering request is in place thereby tracking this AND validating the customer demand.

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

@SloshBurch, Just sent in an enhancement request as case 448563. Anything you can do to promote would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks! Found it. Following and making sure a JIRA gets requested.

mejainamit
Observer

Is there an easy way to upload a file into Splunk using custom visualization(file upload)?

0 Karma

efavreau
Motivator

@SloshBurch It's been a couple year, and I'm curious if there's any update you can share?

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've just asked for an update on the related JIRA item. It's still open and unassigned. Unfortunately, I don't have any more insight so I've asked if anyone else can share more information back over here. Thanks for your patience.

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

I do not have an official feature request in at this time. I was just surprised to see a few similar questions posted here, but no real movement in a few years. The additional complexity I haven't noted yet is that I need a solution that works with Search Head Clustering. I need to be able to consistently programmatically deploy a lookup file to all the members of the cluster. Ideally, I'd be able to not only push a new lookup, but cleanly replace an existing one.

I'll work with my client to get an enhancement request created.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sanity Check: Are we all on the same page that lookups stay in sync in a SHC when used with generated with outputlookup, but not outputcsv. Right? Are we saying that when using the upload they do NOT stay in sync?

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

I've only been looking at outputlooup because (1) I need an actual lookup, not just stored search results, and (2) The docs say that outputcsv isn't supported on an SHC (not surprising)

I'm not aware of any issues with uploaded lookup tables. My complaint is that you can't upload it via splunkd (REST) directly, you have to do it via the UI. Which is less ideal from a programatic perspective.

0 Karma

harry2007gsp
Path Finder

Hi guys,
Can we push lookup table data from outside database(mongoDb lookukp collection) to splunk with splunk python sdk?

We have been pushing normal data to splunk with the help of third party JDBC unity drivers but now planning to push it with python splunk sdk. This case is possible and we know how to do it.

Problem is how can we push lookup data to splunk lookup tables instead of indexes.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@harry2007gsp - I might be over thinking it, but this might be better suited as a new post (queston) on the forum rather than as a comment like this. I want to make sure your question gets the attention it deserves...

If you do that, let us know the link to the post and we can jump on it there.

0 Karma

starcher
Influencer

Yeah without ERs just because it's in Answers doesn't mean it will work its way up the priority chain.
The best solution to do it programmatically is use KVStore lookups which can be handled via rest API.

You can see it mentioned in conf 2016 talk:
https://conf.splunk.com/sessions/2016-sessions.html#
Shop Smart at the KV Store: Best Value Tricks from the Splunk KV Store and REST API

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

Understood. My primary use case is just updating simple (typically 100 lines or less, often less than 1 KB) lookup tables. And mostly I'm looking to do this in just TAs where I want to be able to dictate the exact content of the entire table, maintain them through version control, and so on. I agree that there are lots of other places where KVstore is the ideal solution.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...