Splunk Enterprise

Splunk password issue

uagraw01
Builder

I am getting below error. Although I have changed my password & user name from user-seed.conf. But still it is showing below error.

uagraw01_0-1681743763165.png

But when I am login to UI, below are the error I am getting. Please help me how to fix this error.

uagraw01_0-1681743624386.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If no users exist that means that the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd file is missing.  To create a new admin user, you can use user-seed.conf and it is very easy.   Just double check your steps here:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Security/Secureyouradminaccount

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
# If the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd file is present,
the settings in this file (user-seed.conf) are not used
0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick 
No passwd file is generating after restarting of the Splunk.

uagraw01_0-1681745004108.png

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As @PickleRick said you cannot have .../<SPLUNK_HOME>/etc/passwd file. If you have then you could use e.g.

Create admin credentials for automated installations with the 'hash-passwd' CLI command

to generate hashed password and add/change it into passwd file as already proposed.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Did you restart your splunk instance?

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick Yes I have restarted

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To be fully honest, if you already have a working installation, I would just edit etc/passwd manually and insert a hashed password there.

But if you don't have etc/passwd and it's not getting created from user-seed.conf - there must be something wrong. Check the splunkd.log for errors. Permission issues?

0 Karma

uagraw01
Builder

@PickleRick & @isoutamo  It has been fixed. I was used to save the seed file as user-seed.conf. So when I restarted the Splunk it saved as user-seed.conf.conf. So I corrected and saved the file only as user-seed and gives the results as user-seed.conf and generated the passwd  file also.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...