Splunk Enterprise

Someone could help me ?

jamescomh

I would like to know certain things about Splunk:
1 - Is it web? can I make a stand around spelling?
2 - Can I add my own features?
3 - How does it get to receive data of various formats such as, CSV, JSON, Dump, and so on?
4 - Can it convert data types with ease?
5 - How to raise to receive data from third parties?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1 - What do you mean by "web"? Splunk is available as a Cloud service or you can install it in a private cloud. One accesses Splunk using a web browser. I don't understand the question about spelling.
2 - It depends on what you mean by "feature". You can create your own apps. You can create custom commands and visualizations.
3 - Splunk uses what's called "schema-on-the-fly" where data is indexed without regard to format. Each user of the data can then parse the how he wishes and extract the desired data from it.
4 - The only data types are string and number. Yes, it can convert with ease, usually automatically.
5 - I don't understand this question.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

1 - What do you mean by "web"? Splunk is available as a Cloud service or you can install it in a private cloud. One accesses Splunk using a web browser. I don't understand the question about spelling.
2 - It depends on what you mean by "feature". You can create your own apps. You can create custom commands and visualizations.
3 - Splunk uses what's called "schema-on-the-fly" where data is indexed without regard to format. Each user of the data can then parse the how he wishes and extract the desired data from it.
4 - The only data types are string and number. Yes, it can convert with ease, usually automatically.
5 - I don't understand this question.

---

jamescomh

About the number 1, I'm tryind to say if is possible download the Splunk and integrate it with my own webapps, creating a user's to login on it and so on.

About the number 2. if I have some algorithm, can I put it on my Splink, right ?

Abount the number 5, I'm tryind to say, if someone can give his own Databases and I can access it by SSH, something like that.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you can download a free edition of Splunk and integrate it with our webapps. The free edition only supports a single user, however.

It depends on the complexity of the algorithm, but yes, you should be able to do that.

Splunk's DB Connect app can extract data from a database, but the free edition doesn't support DB Connect. A scripted or modular input should be able to SSH into your database and pull out data.

---
0 Karma

jamescomh

Ok man, you really helped me a lot, thanks!

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should accept the answer if he answered your questions

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...