Splunk Enterprise

Is there a way in Splunk to get the information of dashboard visits, hits, or unique users visitor?

deepikagooty
Explorer

Hi,

I would like to show the numbers of users and also the number of unique users visiting a particular dashboard. I want to display these numbers somewhere on the dashboard. I have multiple dashboards and would like to do the same for all the dashboards.

Is there an in-built feature/tool in Splunk that does this? or Is using JavaScript a better option for this?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is no built-in feature that does that.  You'll have to search and parse the splunkd_ui_access log for that information.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

impurush
Contributor

Hi, @deepikagooty,

You can use the below query to get the number of unique users who accessed the dashboard. You can embed this in your dashboard

index=_internal source=*splunkd_ui_access.log uri_path="*/<dashboard_url_name>" NOT user="-"
|stats dc(user)

Thanks,
Purush

User Monitoring for Splunk - https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/5484/

0 Karma

datsplunk4272
Explorer

Yes, @richgalloway is right!

As our Search Heads are configured with RSA authentication, I created and monitored a local index in Search Head to track the JSON file for each user in SPL.

$SPLUNK_HOME$/etc/app/<app_name(default: radius_auth>>local/user_info/<hash>.json

0 Karma

deepikagooty
Explorer

Could you please elaborate on this. Thank you.

0 Karma

datsplunk4272
Explorer

Here is what I could have a summary:

1. Splunk authentication (I call local settings) and all local users' login/password are stored at  $SPLUNK_HOME$/etc/passwd file. After users login, their profiles will be located $SPLUNK_HOME$/etc/users/ directory.

2. This is a way that I use to manage the users because I am using radius authentication as mentioned above. I listed the links to download and configure below that I followed so you could do your lab.

After completing the app installation and configuration, logging to SH > Click Settings > Add Data > Files & Directories ($SPLUNK_HOME$/etc/apps/radius_auth/local/user_info directory that will be monitored > follow the rest of the basic process.

Download app: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/981/

Configuration the radius access: https://lukemurphey.net/projects/splunk-radius-auth/wiki/Install_and_Configuration

(I could not show you my system snapshot because it is not the lab but if you have one, you could share it.)

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is no built-in feature that does that.  You'll have to search and parse the splunkd_ui_access log for that information.

---

deepikagooty
Explorer

Thanks for the reply @richgalloway  The splunkd_ui_access log that I have only shows my activity. Is it because it is on my local machine? If this is deployed on to the production server, Will I be able to get information of all the users accessing that dashboard with the same splunkd_ui_access log file? Please let me know. Thank you.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since you are the only user (presumably) of your machine only your activity will be in the logs.  In a shared environment, the logs will show the activity of all users.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...